mthom211

breeding pindani cichlids

I have a breeding colony of 6 pindani. There is only 1 male in the group but since I have had them they have not bred. The other fish in the tank are 2 bristlenose and 6 electric yellows. they are in the rumpass room so they do get traffic going past it after school. I feed them homemade fish food, and I don't know the maonia ect. as I am saving up for a test kit. I have had them for about 2 months and the tank has bee set up for about 5 months I cycled it for a month with convucts and I previously had red empress in it so it is definately cycled. Do I need to do anything to condition them. Also do you have any advice getting my dad to set up a tank for the fry. If I traded the yellows for albino pindani would it make them hybreds.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Maybe try feeding them some live food as well like brineshrimp, daphnia, mosquito larvae etc. in their diet and alternate foods.

Or slightly adjust the heater up or down a degree and leave it until water change, then turn it back up.

Sometimes leaving a water change go another week will work.

It's up to the fish in the end though, just give them time to settle in.

How long have you had them?

I wouldn't try to breed the albino variant with the regular Pindani.

Cheers

Stace

I have had them for 2 months and I have left the water change a week late and I will turn the temp. Up tonight. I used to feed them mosquito larvae but they seem to have stooped breeding. I think I might try peacocks with them, will this work. The pindani are not at all agressive they used to get chased by a 5cm Molly when they were at about 12cm.