Hi guys, just doing usual checks on tank and saw some tiny little white hair like worms swimming in the tank??

I usualy have a internal filter on it with the air injection so it creats alot of bubbles, just disconeccted it for a short while and i saw all those little worms, about 5 -8 or so . I have just done about 10% change, im on town water so i was wondering if they could have coume in from that or do u think they may have been in the tank? They are in a 4x2x2. havent checked water parameters yet just wanted to hear some feed back. There is some fish in there, electric blue/snooks and they are doing fine.

I dont have a pic because they are to small it probably would not show up. They look like an eyelash but white and they wriggle....like an eel, the first one i saw i thought it was a cat hair but then it started to swim.

I just want to know if anyone knows what they are? if they are anything to worry about? and how do i get rid of them? Should i just try worming medication to see what happens?

And if i had (not that i do but wanted reason to get) UV sterilizer do u think they would be killed...im not sure on the actual ability of the UV's but i thought they were for like microscopic bacteria...

Thanks

If it is what i think it is dude its just a worm that you can get either from the water supply or sumthing and it feeds on the left over food and lives in the gravel or sand. i had sum in one of my tanks, cut down on the food but they seemed to be to well feed still so i just have no sand or gravel in my tanks and now i never get these worms or any other nasties in the bottom of my tank.

haha its good the powerheadfilter is in just the right spot to push all the crap to one corner ready for my to suck up easy at the next W/C.

na doesn't look like either. I dont know what they actually look like under a microscope but to the naked eye they are about 5 - 8mm long white and straight (and about as thick as a hair)...no visable head or legs or stickin out bits. when they stop swiming they look exactly like a short cat hair. They are just in open water, cant see any in sand/wood/rocks

The worm is Planaria are often found in aquariums with uneaten food. The planaria won't hurt the fish, but they are a symptom of too much gravel containing too much uneaten food, and that is not good for fish. They require a food source, which means there must be excess food wastes in the tank to support them.

So i am having the same problem in my 2 ft tank, as i dont have aquarium salt i added some prime and stability i havnt seen any this morning, I think my problem is over feeding and having a gravel substrate.... The tank contains cherry shrimp and pepps. They are fed or have food in the tank all the time... for instance zucini or a pellet.

I'm not sure if I should get rid of the gravel or not.... but my mate had no substrate in his tanks and it looked goooood :)

So how much aquarium salt would be recommended for a 2 ft tank with a sponge filter in it ?

Thanks Trent