Gday Everyone, I have a 8-9cm sailfin gibby and the last two days or so his crappers have had a hair like thread amongst it. And tonight i noticed it was like actually like white cotton, it was a bit of poop, white cotton, bit of poop.. He is still active and eating, and my water parameters are all good, i am just wondering the best thing to treat this with, and if anybody has had similar things happen to them which they have successfully treated.. Thankyou very much for all answers and advice.. cheers Steve

I think he's probably got intestinal flagellates, a common type of protozoan parasite. I'd treat with metronidazole at ~7mg per litre every day for 3 days with 25% water changes before each treatment. The common trade name for the drug is Metrogyl (sometimes Flagyl). It's usually 200mg tablets, so dissolve 1 tab for about every 25L and add to the tank.

If you're lucky you might get it from a good LFS, otherwise you'll need to ask a vet. Vets sometimes are reluctant to supply (it's an S4 drug) unless they see the fish. If you describe the problem you should be right though.

Thanks Quasimodo, Do you have much time to treat the problem, as i have to round some up first.. Am i better off removing him to another tank by himself, or just treat the tank with the other 10 americans in it.. Cheers.. Also is there any alternate treatments available.. Thanks Steve

You've got some time, he should be okay for quite a while as long as his belly doesn't look sunken. The symptom you're seeing is just excess mucous lining of the intestine being excreted as a reaction to the attachment of the protozoa.

I'd use the metro rather than anything else because as well as treating protozoa it also treats anaerobic bacterial infections. Anaerobes are common secondary problems in the intestine because of damage caused by the protozoa.

Check in your family medicine cupboard for metro. It's commonly used for humans as well.

Thanks Quasimodo, Can i please annoy you one more time, So one 200mg tablet per 25 litres, Treat the tank. Next day do a 25% waterchange, Re-treat. Then next night 25% waterchange, re-treat, so on so on.. So i just do it for 3 nights. On the 4th night do i do another 25% waterchange.. And should i re-treat again or will 3days be enough to kill everything.. Thankyou mate for your help. Cheers Steve

Forgot to say, I think you should leave him there and treat the whole tank.

A water change on the fourth day wouldn't hurt. Treating for three days is probably more than is really necessary, but seems to be generally accepted.

Sorry me again, I was sort of hoping to take him out of his tank and put him in a two foot 50 litres.. At the moment there all in a 8 by 2 by 2. And its like 96 tablets [200mg] for the 3 days treatment.. How big a box do they come in ? But i spose it would be better to treat the entire tank to get that stuff out of there, i was just hoping to use 6 tabs instead of 96.. Cheers Steve

It's best to treat the big tank if you can, even if you reduce the water level during treatment to reduce the volume.

If you have to, treat him in the small tank and move him back later, but I think all your fish would benefit from treatment.

The price of metro seems to vary a lot. I used to get 250 tablet bottles for $57, but that might have been cheap. I've heard of people getting charged $2.50 per tablet.