wellsey

JT Cannister filters from ebay.

We've all seen those cheap white cannisters on ebay for dirt cheap -

2525677010064388138S200x200Q85.jpg

Would love to hear from anyone that has had anything to do with these. I need a small cannister for 200L, and I can get one of these for 80 bucks with media.

Also, I have heard that the ones with UV lights should be avoided as the plastic is not UV stabilised and deteriorates? True or false?

Cheers.

i have used them and they are good for the amount you are paying, uv steralisation is great and i never had a drama with the plastic deteriorating, the media is crap so if you decide to get one go and get your own media.

So my two 2200lph filters came via courier this morning.

These are both going on my 6ft in the next few weeks, but I set one up on my 430 litre 4x2x2 this arvo to see how it went.

First thing I did was customize the media; I removed the provided carbon and added better quality glass noodles.

Tray 1 - dacron sponge, two bags of Purigen and medium black sponge

Tray 2 - dacron and noodles

Tray 3 - dacron and bio balls (I used the provided bio balls, they seem pretty good)

Tray 4 - dacron and more glass noodles

Second thing I did was bin all the provided intake and outlet hardware. Really thin, cheap, narrow and foul smelling black pvc plastic. Very narrow, prob 10 - 12mm. I kept the provided hose as it seems pretty good. I used a set of Aqua One inlet and outlet pipes designed for their large canisters. Much larger dia of piping and better surface skimmer.

All set up, it primed easily and is pretty much silent. Very minor hum that you would definitely not hear if the stand was enclosed.

I will admit that there is no way on earth it flows 2200lph. I am just using a basic piece of piping for the outlet as I don't like spray bars, and the current coming from it doesn't seem much stronger than the Aqua One Aquis 1250 that it replaced. Having said that I am using 22mm piping and hose, so there isn't much back pressure at all.

Will see how it goes, but for 110 bucks I reckon it's a bargain, even with having to update the media a little. Two of these should do my 6x2x2 perfectly ok until I get around to building a sump.

If you are keen I would recommend you bid on one rather than "buy it now" as they have them starting from 75 bucks. I sniped one of mine for 110 and the other for 115 bucks.

Will update in a week or two to see how it is performing.

EDIT - Forgot to add that they do not come with taps for the filter end of the hoses, so if you want to disconnect the canister for cleaning or whatever, you have to drain the hoses into a bucket. I will be adding taps ASAP.

they do have taps dude but not taps like the ones you think to look for.

when you unhook the hoses from the canister you flip a latch 180deg and pull the two hoses out well when you flip this it closes off the water so it stays in the pipes. so instead of 2 individual taps you have one for both in and outlet.

Ive been looking at the same gear from Guppy's, they want $95 for a 1500 lphr with UV, was thinking of getting 3, one each for my 4fters and one for my 4fter....

bring it to aoa for a further 10% off and you get cheaper shipping.... buy all 4 and shipping will still only be $7.50, they sure would love that :lol:

Ive been looking at the same gear from Guppy's, they want $95 for a 1500 lphr with UV, was thinking of getting 3, one each for my 4fters and one for my 4fter....

bring it to aoa for a further 10% off and you get cheaper shipping.... buy all 4 and shipping will still only be $7.50, they sure would love that :lol:

aoa????

Ha! They emailed me back and said they have changed my account status to 'DO NOT SUPPLY' as asking them to beat AOA's prices was an attempt to screw them over. I thought the customer had the right to bargain prices????? Ah well, I told him politely to read the trade practices act, get an attitude adjustment and cancel my account with them if thats how he felt.

aoa????

age of aquariums, they always beat competitors prices. i always go with them, they honour thier warranties without any questions.

think how them ebay sellers will handle thiers??

cheap assss prices, cheap assss shipping, and the way they handle the warranty claims..... you cant beat them

just my 2 cents