bjc90

snails in sump system

I have got snails :irked: in my sump and was wanting to know a way to get them out without having to clean out the sump fully, which i assume would kill all the good bacteria in the bio cubes.

How would you get it out ?

Cheers,

Blake

would a clown loach really survive in a sump? i do have some cherry shrimp in the sump, are they meant to eat the snails? i havent heard of that before but if they do ill put more of the buggers in there lol

I think gloria meant she had heard of japanese sumps that utilised shrimp to eat the waste and crap out of the main tank (not snails?).

Sounds interesting but not what you needed.

Maybe give us some more specs of your tank and sump and we can help?

Size of main tank, size of sump, is there an open area that the clown loach would be able to swim around in?,

Honestly i think you would need to empty the sump and clean it/dry the cubes in the sun so the snails die.

A clown loch wont be able to get into ur bio cubes an get the snails etc, eggs would probably survive somewhere and in a few weeks you would have alot more snails,

Nick.

ahh righto haha blonde moment on my part.

the tank is a 6x2ft tank and the sump is close to 3 foot size just a bit under i believe. Yeah i can see the snails in the bio cubes and i would assume they would have laid eggs. So i guess its cleaning the sump.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the help.

Blake

If youre worried about cycling the tank again or losing bacteria, and the snails are only in the sump..

Why dont you put a canister filter or some internal filters on the the tank for a week or two before cleaning out the sump so you can at least save some of the good bacteria?

Nick

yeah i have had an internal 1800l/hr in the tank for the same time as the sump so i would just leave that in there to help keep the good bacteria alive. But they arnt being sucked through the pump so is there any need to get them out? i do have plants in the tank but they dont seem to be affected by the snails being in the sump (well not that i can see).

Cheers,

Blake

The only other way i can think of would be using copper sulphate, potassium permanganate or a snail rid chemical but all of these may harm your bio or leave a pile of unwanted snail corpses.

I wouldn't think cherry shrimp would be the best shrimp for the job but maybe try a freshwater prawn/glass shrimp or a freshwater crab if you have an open area. Or one of those macrobrachium rosenbergii - they have longer pincers :laugh:

ahh right haha might have to grab a few of them then lol, yeah well if they arent doing any harm to anything then i wont bother doing anything just thought id see whether or not they are gonna harm the fish or bacteria or whatever but yeah if not they can stay there.

Cheers,

Blake

are the snails you're talking about, the ones that are like little cone shaped ones?

as if they are, they apparently dont do any damage to anything living, they clean away dead and rotting materials like leaves and corpses and they also aerate substrates by moving around in it