Good Marine Shop Gold Coast

Well i thought i would share my experience at a local marine shop that has just opened. (I know i'm not a member yet but will join soon). Anyways its at Palm Beach and its called aquariums etc and it also has some fresh water fish, i think he said he is getting cichlids soon. Anyways his prices are great, he is very knowledgable and he is only there to help not to sell you something that is way over priced. He used to own coral plantations and has now sold it and opened this store. So go in, check it out and see what they have for you. He will also order in anything and everything.

Jade

Best shop i have found so far is Mermaid marine. Its also on the GC highway but its behind Pacific Fair just down from dick smith.

He is good and has been doing it for years. Not so much coral as the other guy but more fish.

Its on the gold coast Hwy at Palm Beach... i guess its just north of the centrelink office :wink:

The shop is on the east(beach side) of gold coast hwy on the corner of 7th avenue small shop but good range!!

miami hey... you arnt far from me at all ;)

But i didnt like the guy at mermaid.... not sure but meh

Yeah he can be abit condescending sometimes when you ask him questions but he is the first guy i have talked to who really knows his shit. He is a marine biologist so you can trust what he says to be fish law.

Yeah he can be abit condescending sometimes when you ask him questions but he is the first guy i have talked to who really knows his sh%t. He is a marine biologist so you can trust what he says to be fish law.

Serious?

Told me he is from Sydney and was an importer down there. Sabastian also said he learnt from working shops there.

Yeah he can be abit condescending sometimes when you ask him questions but he is the first guy i have talked to who really knows his sh%t. He is a marine biologist so you can trust what he says to be fish law.

Serious?

Told me he is from Sydney and was an importer down there. Sabastian also said he learnt from working shops there.

I got told his parents had been in the marine business for 20+ years and he has been doing it for 10+ or something like that, then he told my friend that he was a biologist which i thought that made sense.

The one funny thing is that they all dont like each other. Abyss, mermaid and palm beach guys.

My findings so far are,

Abyss: Most fish if you come in on quarantine and they are so far the cheapest but not really a shop more of a wholesaler. Nothing eles there but fish, no live rock or salt ect.....

Mermaid: Very knowledgeable, quite helpful, alot of people trust him. Not the biggest range of fish or coral but can order just about anything in less than a week. Good range of stuff (filters etc).

Palm beach: Not many fish at all but can order anything. Cleanest shop ever and a good range of stuff. A large amount of corals. Very knowledgeable altho not helpful at all unless u plan to spend alot of money.

Coral Plantations: Will try and make u spend so much money. Not alot of anything for such a big store. Still waiting for them to get back to me 2-3months later about a dwarf loinfish which i have since got from else where. Put my name and number down and they were to call me the next time they had one. Never happened.

Aquarium warehouse: Same thing as above, am still on there waiting list for a lion.

Ashmore: A good priced range for such a small store, they have just started up there salt and it looks impressive.

Southport: Dont know how they still operate. Every now and again they have a really cool fish that is worth the visit.

This is all my person opinions and the opinions of friends who have dealt with this shops before.

Palm beach: Not many fish at all but can order anything. Cleanest shop ever and a good range of stuff. A large amount of corals. Very knowledgeable altho not helpful at all unless u plan to spend alot of money.

I duno i can ring cameron any time he knows me well now and he is always very helpful and i havent spent that much there... only $250 last visit.... and a few hundred in the visits before that.

I found the guy at mermaid not interested in divulging info or anything just interested in selling :s

But he also told me he was from NSW and they had fsh water shops and moved up here and started in marine for the first time :S