rmckey

putting a oscar down

get some clove oil from a chemist

put him in a bag with some water and add some clove oil

i cant remember how much you need to kill a fish, someone will remember im sure???

my methods free lol

make sure u use enough as clove oil also knocks them out and u dont want the poor thing to wake up in the bin :cry:

humane is a matter of opinion, I've seen severing the nerves argued to be less painful than freezing (but that was cutting through the back of the neck/straight into the head).

As for how to go about it, I'd go with clove oil too. I can't add anything new other than it's an anesthetic and considered the most humane way by many.

Always pays to place in freezer after clove oil (when they're clearly unconscious) as it generaly only anaethetises rather than kills. I know it depends on amount used but I could never take the chance of fishing waking up in "recovery" = the wheelie bin.

Freezing a fish is not humane, the fishes cells slowly expand until they explode slowly killing the fish. They dont just go to sleep as suggested. Clove oil or servering the back boe near the head is quickest and apparently least painful. Steve

i know this might sound crawl but cut up under the gills and off with its head like a bream probably the fast and easiest.

While this method may be fast and effective, it would not be considered "humane" by many standards.

Also many people become very attached to their pets and even in the situation where euthanasia is required, this option is far from acceptable to them.

Try to understand a fish is a fish to some , but a pet to others.

Freezing a fish is not humane, the fishes cells slowly expand until they explode slowly killing the fish.

Have you got any links that prove this?

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Panel on Euthanasia lists three acceptable methods of euthanasia for fish, and two conditionally acceptable methods. Methods listed as acceptable are overdoses with the anesthetics tricaine methanesulfonate (MS-222), benzocaine (related to MS-222 but less soluble in water) and barbiturates. Methods listed as conditionally acceptable are stunning (by a blow to the head) and decapitation in combination, or decapitation alone. Of the three methods listed as acceptable, tricaine and benzocaine are immersion anesthetics, while barbiturates are administered by intravenous injection. Overdoses of other anesthetics in water, such as eugenol (active ingredient of clove oil) and isoflurane (a volatile anesthetic used for gas anesthesia of terrestrial animals) will produce similar effects.

Hypothermia (chilling, freezing) is not considered to be humane when used as the sole method of euthanasia because the animal is not rendered rapidly insensible to pain or distress. However, freezing is an effective method of ensuring death of a fish and may be employed after the fish is insensible from an anesthetic overdose.

Freezing a fish is not humane, the fishes cells slowly expand until they explode slowly killing the fish.

Have you got any links that prove this?

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Panel on Euthanasia lists three acceptable methods of euthanasia for fish, and two conditionally acceptable methods. Methods listed as acceptable are overdoses with the anesthetics tricaine methanesulfonate (MS-222), benzocaine (related to MS-222 but less soluble in water) and barbiturates. Methods listed as conditionally acceptable are stunning (by a blow to the head) and decapitation in combination, or decapitation alone. Of the three methods listed as acceptable, tricaine and benzocaine are immersion anesthetics, while barbiturates are administered by intravenous injection. Overdoses of other anesthetics in water, such as eugenol (active ingredient of clove oil) and isoflurane (a volatile anesthetic used for gas anesthesia of terrestrial animals) will produce similar effects.

Hypothermia (chilling, freezing) is not considered to be humane when used as the sole method of euthanasia because the animal is not rendered rapidly insensible to pain or distress. However, freezing is an effective method of ensuring death of a fish and may be employed after the fish is insensible from an anesthetic overdose.

Spot on - in the absence of anesthetics, a blow to head and then decapitation would be the way to go. If you are really concerned, then try some clove oil before the blow (although this is not in the guidlines). Freezing is not good at all, although some researchers use an ice slurry (as opposed to the freezer) although there is some debate about this though. The Australian NHMRC also have guidlines for this. FYI - I worked in DPI animal welfare and have science background.

"quote. Like most animals, it is sometimes necessary to end a fish's life prematurely because of illness or disease. The easiest way to kill a fish quickly is to destroy the fishes brain with a sharp implement. You can also euthanize the fish quickly by severing its spinal cord just behind the head. Carrying out this procedure must be done very quickly so as not to cause any stress to the fish. If you are not confident enough to dispatch a fish this way then use an anesthetic to put the fish into a deep sleep and then carry out the procedure. If you still can't bring yourself to physically cut the fish then an overdose of anesthetic can be used to euthanize the fish. The following instructions show you how to euthanize a fish using clove oil.

Clove oil is readily available at various outlets such as Boots. I think I paid about £1.30 for my little pot. Sometimes people use a drop for toothache as it numbs the area.

1. Firstly, move the fish into a smaller tank, a baby bath or bucket - something that can be thrown away or easily cleaned.

2. Put 3 drops with a half pint of water and shake very well, so the oil and water make a fusion - otherwise the oil will just float on top of the water and for the euthanasia to work the fish has to get the oil into its system.

3. Add the mixture to the water that the fish is in (1 gallon of water should be more than enough) and stir it around slowly with your hand. The fish should become lethargic and sleepy.

4. Add another mixture of 2 to 3 drops of oil in water. When the fish goes "belly up" it is asleep - not dead.

5. Then add 3 more drops of clove oil. The fish feels nothing, it is very peaceful and humane. It seems mad that a few drops of something can have such an effect, but it IS very strong. Don't make the mistake of thinking that if you initially put more in it will act quicker - it will only freak the fish out - it has to be done gradually so the fish doesn't notice the change in the water.

The whole proceedure should take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. You will know when the fish is completely dead because there will be absolutely no movement of the gills. If after an hour the fishes gills are still moving you could add a couple more drops of clove oil. Sometimes it does depend on the size of the fish to how many drops of clove oil are needed. end quote"

copied this off the oscar site that i use from time to time. www.oscarfishlover.com

hope it helps dude. ;)