rosequoll

Pump for sump, what power?

Setting up a 6ft (2 ft wide, 15in tall, holds approx 390-400 litres) divided tank, plumbed with a 3 x 18 x 18 in sump. Tank will be divided into 6 separate sections, each one with an overflow.

I'm going to go with a via aqua pump, but I'm not sure how to work out which pump to get. I want to make sure the pump is capable, but wont be creating so much water pressure that it's blowing my poor little fish away.

Any help would be great, thanks!

I think the same principal applies with sump pumps as any other filtration 3-5 times capacity per hour. So you need to work out the head height of the outlet then workout how much you want to move the water depending on stock levels, say for example, a 2000lph pump might only put out 1800 at 1m head height. So if you wanted the a min of 2000lph you would then have to go say up to a 2500lph. That would give you approx 5x flow : L in system.

Someone correct me if I am wrong... :esmile:

hey brockssracer just wondering how do you work out how much you loose for say a 1 m difference between the tank and the sump? also the general rule of how much a sump can filter.

Cheers,

Blake

Most pumps have it listed on the box, or you can find out through a manufacturers website. But each one will be different, the size of the out pipe and bends will have an impact.

home flow testing is the best method to get an accurate amount for your system but you can use the guides provided by manufacturers.

you need to remember that the flow rate is measured at the propeller. every time you use a fitting or and elbow flow is also greatly reduced.

i use one of these pumps on my 6ft tank as they are ultra quiet and are only 50watts power

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6000-lph-Submersible-Pond-Water-Feature-Fountain-Pump-/200474482077?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Gardening_Equipment&hash=item2ead35d59d