Ellie Fish

Is it illegal to import female Dwarf Gouramis

hi qldaf. :hi:

i went to city farmers, mitchelton yesterday to buy some dwarf gouramis; 2 female and one male to be exact as the males tend to be aggresive towards each other.

i was having a hard time distinguishing the males from the females.

when i asked who appeared to be "the fish guy" if he could pick out the females for me, i was told that it's "illegal" to import female gouramis into the country! :huh:

is this true?

i was pretty frustrated because i wasn't aware of this earlier & ended up leaving with 2 male blue dwarf gouramis and 2 male flame dwarf gouramis. :irked:

does anyone have anything to say about that?

thanks in advance,

Ellie :fish:

Hey Ellie,

Not sure bout illegal imports but I can tell u how to sex dwarf gourami.

In the photo below is a female (bought from an LFS in Ippy bout 9months ago)

The back of the dorsal fin is rounded off at the top, where as males r pointed (this only works for dwarf varieties)

Edit: Its a pretty crappy pic but u can still c the dorsal fin ;)

DSCF0430.jpg

When I use to keep these, I couldn't buy a female blue dwarf, every LFS said they never had them come threw ;) not really sure y ;)

Your best bet is to put up a Wanted To Buy add in the Live Stock section, they would b cheaper aswell ;)

Good luck with your search :)

Tim

Dwarf gouramis.....in all their colour morphs are a LEGAL import

BOTH...male and females

It is Paradise fish that only males are a legal import....

However it is common for a lot of Asian breed species that only males are grown for sale....because they are more colourful

or they colour feed them so females look like males or they don't release females as they are used as breeding stock

The vast majority of people who buy fish....just want a pretty one....potential to breed is irrelavent

I saw recently where a shop had a tank full of female kribensis.....I asked if they had any males and they advised they had a special deal with their supplier for females only....because they get a red belly and males don't unless in breeding colour!!

It makes Good economic sense to sell colourful fish

They are about....even female paradise fish

Hey Ellie,

Not sure bout illegal imports but I can tell u how to sex dwarf gourami.

In the photo below is a female (bought from an LFS in Ippy bout 9months ago)

The back of the dorsal fin is rounded off at the top, where as males r pointed (this only works for dwarf varieties)

Edit: Its a pretty crappy pic but u can still c the dorsal fin ;)

When I use to keep these, I couldn't buy a female blue dwarf, every LFS said they never had them come threw ;) not really sure y ;)

Your best bet is to put up a Wanted To Buy add in the Live Stock section, they would b cheaper aswell ;)

Good luck with your search :)

Tim

Hi Tim.

I was under the impression that the difference between the two was less colouring on the female.

The people at City Farmers said that too.

It was $40.00 for 4 Dwarf Gouramis.

I hope that buying online is cheaper than that!

Thanks for your all you help. :)

Dwarf gouramis.....in all their colour morphs are a LEGAL import

BOTH...male and females

It is Paradise fish that only males are a legal import....

However it is common for a lot of Asian breed species that only males are grown for sale....because they are more colourful

or they colour feed them so females look like males or they don't release females as they are used as breeding stock

The vast majority of people who buy fish....just want a pretty one....potential to breed is irrelavent

I saw recently where a shop had a tank full of female kribensis.....I asked if they had any males and they advised they had a special deal with their supplier for females only....because they get a red belly and males don't unless in breeding colour!!

It makes Good economic sense to sell colourful fish

They are about....even female paradise fish

Hi Rod.

I was really confused because my neighbour has had female Gouramis before.

I wonder why they told me that if females are imported... :irked:

The only reason I was after some females is because the males tend to quarrel.

Anyway, thanks for confirming that with me. :grin:

Evenin'!

The 4 males have built a huge bubble nest with some of the leaves & stalks of the ambulia that's in their tank.

This has occured after only 1 day of them inhabiting this tank.

Should I buy some females?

If so, how many?

The tank is 80L and the only other fish in there are 2 small Albino Bristlenoses.

I'd like to see the Gouramis breed but I won't be disappointed if they don't.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!