Herby101

Moving House - 6 fish tanks

So in the next 2 weeks i have the fun task of moving house, luckily im only moving 15 minutes away from where I currently am and I will have a week period to move everything over.

I wanted some input from people that have succesfully moved a larger number of fish tanks including fish to another location.

Stuff to move is

4x2x2 with 13 Geo's and 20 Tetra's

4x1.5x2 with 30+ Africans

Two 4x1.5x1.5 tanks - 1 with a mature red devil and another with 20+ africans

Two 3x1x1.5 - 1 with fry in it and athe other with juvi africans

So the process i am currently thinking im going to have to do is.

1. Drain at least 100l of water from the tank into a large esky

2. Remove fish from tank and place into esky or another bucket

3. Empty out tank, move it and all accesories to new house

4. setup tank at new house, transfer all water from the esky back into the tank and fill remaining with tap water

5. let water come back upt to temp, and introduce the fish back into the tank.

Im thinking this will have to be done one tank at a time.

Any valuable input would be appreciated

i went and bought 20 buckets filled all buckets from one tank ...put a divider in another tank and fish from tank ur moving 1st ...put fish in the tank divided...set the tank up at new home with the buckets of water (try keep gravel in water while moving) then divide tank in new house ..and just repeat process till no more fishys left at old home ...lot of stuffing round ...but i didnt lose 1 fish

yeah its going to be a long process, going to try and organise a few mates and at least 2 utes, Ill have a friend of mine who keeps fish as well at one house setting up, whilst im at the old house prepping everything.. going to need to get lots of beer for this one..

yeah its going to be a long process, going to try and organise a few mates and at least 2 utes, Ill have a friend of mine who keeps fish as well at one house setting up, whilst im at the old house prepping everything.. going to need to get lots of beer for this one..

hahahaha yep ud be amazed how well this greases the cogs of friendship! :lol:

I bought another tank lol crammed everyone into there while i set up the old tanks n then seperated everyone up -prolly not a good idea to throw the Red Devil in with the guppies tho! hahahahaha!

Its not a bad time to get rid of that odd fish that fits nowhere and gives u an excuse to buy more when u get to the new place! i find something along the lines of "ive been told new fish will increase the feng shi" generally works well :lol::lol::lol:

the IBC container would be good, but, i would have to load the IBC container onto the back of the ute, and individualy bucket water into it or find some kind of bildge pump, and then at the other end would have to pump/bucket the water back out again, if I use buckets then should cut the process a bit, thanks for the idea though.

i did it mate, i got a 130l bin from bunnings,filled it about half full on the back of a ute, put fish in that, then i had 3 x 20l drums to take extra water from each tank and filled the rest up with tap water, i moved them 1 tank at a time, but i had an extra tank, so i could get it set up and get the fish in quick, before i started setting up the next one, this worked realy well and i had 0 fatalities and the fish were only out of the tanks for around 15-20 minutes.

last time i moved i had my tanks, i just got 2 120l tubs from bunnings to put my fish in(if you have a small internal / hang over it in there to so you atleast can keep the water turning over or put sponge filters in with the fish) and i also had a spare container to run my filters in while i emptied and loaded the tanks so that i could keep the bacteria in my filters alive too. Save as much of your water as you can, and you should be ok.

This worked for me when i had to move two tanks but you have more so you might have to do 2 or 3 at a time

anyway good luck with the move and i hope it all goes well for you.

Cav

yeah those bags look pretty special..

Ill be transporting the fish in a foam box and I will use my battery powered airrator that i use in my live bait bucket when cast netting. only aiming to have them in there for about 2 - 3 hours..... well thats the plan.... :happy:

yeah those bags look pretty special..

Ill be transporting the fish in a foam box and I will use my battery powered airrator that i use in my live bait bucket when cast netting. only aiming to have them in there for about 2 - 3 hours..... well thats the plan.... :happy:

That'll do it ;)

I have just finished shifting 9 odd tanks including a sump. Just chucked them into some 50lt tubs from bunnings with sponge filters from tanks. Tank water into tubs, sponge in tubs, fish in tubs (Inc fry). Shift the tanks, shift the tubs, fill the tanks, fit the heaters and bring up to temp. Next day fish in. No casualties. :-)

Move completed with no fish casualties, only broke a corner off one of my lids :woohoo:

What a mission of a day it was, took close to 8 hours to move just the fish tanks.

Cheers guys for your advice.

We were considering shifting from this hell hole property (lots of faulty stuff)....but after reading your thread, if an invester buys the place, I'm bloody staying rather than shifting the tanks :)

By the way, I heard sizzlers has plenty of the white buckets with lids thrown away (from dips/sauces)...would be about 20l. Although it was a staff member who gets a hold of them, I reckon if you were friendly to the manager and asked if he'd mind you taking what is going to be tossed, you might get freebies :)