Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shon982

Willing To Borrow filters and heaters for an assignment

Hey everyone, well I'm doing a biology assignment on the effect that different biological media have on the nitrogen cycle (cycling a tank from scratch)

hence, comparing the same volumes of different media ie. matrix vs. sponges vs. noodles vs. wool etc. maybe even plants

Therefore I am setting up basically a simulation of fish tanks in buckets...

in each bucket a heater, some substrate, all the same water parameters and if i can get the same type of filter all with the same flow rate in each of the buckets

so as you'll know it would be expensive buying brand new filters and heaters so i was looking to borrow if someone had the lot

i will need - 5 heaters and 5 filters

the heaters just need to heat small buckets

as for the filter, HOB filters would be the best (i'll figure out a way to attach them or i might use containers instead) all with the same flow rate

all i will be doing is adding some media to the filters

put a measured amount of ammonia in the bucket and record the time it takes to cycle the tank (measuring ammonia, nitrite and nitrate each day)

once its done i can return all the stuff, maybe pay a small deposit as well at the start? i would definetly pay if any damages were to occur but they will be staying at my house so it will be safe

it would be good if i could get everything off one person that was close as well

thanks, and if theres any questions, just let me know

i would only need the stuff for a maximum of 2 weeks (cycling a tank cant take much longer?)

if i cant get HOB internal power filters would suffice, and if all else fails then i would just test different sized sponge filters (in which case i would need an air pump as well)

:)

Could make a bunch of air driven filters?? that way you can make them all uniform in size/flow(would be better for your experiment too). I don't know if your going to be able to borrow 5 filters all the same. Just need one decent air pump.

And now you don't have to borrow any :) :)

ohhh you mean like those corner box filters that can house media?

totally forgot about that!

thanks! :egrin:

i'll look into making them but they're pretty cheap as well so i could just buy some, they're like $5-10 each anyway

perfect :)

well this thread is now dead until i work out a few things now :lol:

You need more than 2 weeks to properly cycle a new tank if all parts a new, I would say 4 weeks is a minimum.

Oh great :perplex: ... well yeah as i said if time is a restriction then i would just record data for however long i can, it is only a high school assignment and its critical that i get any sort of data because the time limit is 4 weeks for the assignment :) i could also maybe seed the media with sponges from my own tank, just a squeeze

This sounds really great! Would be interested to know the results you come up with!

Deff corner filters.

Good luck with it all!

yeah i thought it would be good because i was reading that a common thing in germany is to just use filter wool as biological filtration media

so it would be good to compare it, similar to this http://www.ntcresearch.org/pdf-rpts/AnR ... D11-A6.pdf

Dont go buying something when it can be done so easily. and cheap.

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/simple-filter.htm

Thats a very rough way to go about it, but use your imagination and you can make it out of anything.

By all means go and buy them. but after spending that much on media, saving 25-50 is not a bad idea.

yeah i had the exact thought today! :lafhard: coke bottles FTW! :lol:

i might put up how i build it

this thread probably no longer belongs in this section...

As a non-practicing biology teacher, I think you're trying to achieve too much for what I assume is a standard eei assignment. Far be it from me to discourage you- BUT...

May I suggest you keep it simple? Use two tanks, with identical filters it heaters. Three max. Don't use plants at all. Nor substrate. Isolate your independent variable (eg temperature or media). Either don't use a bio accelerator at all- or use that as your variable.

Either feed the exact same amount every day, or 5 drops of ammonia (simulated fish wee). Don't use any fish, unless you want to do an ethics approval....

Measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels every day ( or every second day to save money). Graph these, compare with published nitogen cycle data- explain this in your intro, justify your results and you've got an A!

I might be able to lend a couple of 100 w heaters and 500l/hr internal filters, and even a couple of 2x1x1 tanks if you can make it to redcliffe.

yup its the grade 12 EEI, i have just finished my physics one :)

well i've spoken to the teacher and she did tell me that even though i might not think its complicated (because i know about fish stuff) to others it would be, therefore it is a suitable experiment, because this whole time ive been thinking to my self that its too easy...

media would probably be my variable being tested, measuring ammonia, nitrite and nitrate each day...

then comparing them with results from other sources

your right, that i am probably trying to achieve too much, maybe its just the physics one had to be complicated lol

i'll keep in contact with you :)

im thinking ill probably try your suggestion, depending on what my teacher thinks, stick with 2-3 tanks with different media

as i know temperature, pH or other water parameter variables shouldnt make much of a difference and i will have less to discuss about

yeah and ill get ammonia from school, no fishys will be harmed :P

I know you would prefer to pick up it all in one place, but if it comes to bits and pieces, I have 2 2x1 tanks, gravel and maybe some other bits and pieces. If some other locals to Strathpine and surrounding suburbs want to help out, I can pick it up, so you have the one stop. Let me know. Tony

Cool. If testing filter media- how's this for an experiment topic. Little Johnny buys a new tank, and the shop convinced him to buy fish too ( not one of our sponsors!). Or perhaps he won them at the. Ekka.

He has the options of

a. Using the supplied sponge ( no carbon)

b. Using matrix, or other media

c. Pinching some established media from his Neighbours tank

gives you surface area etc to talk about in your discussion, as well as the nitrogen cycle, and seeding bacteria ...

Still one step to complicated for my liking- but would work'

Cool. If testing filter media- how's this for an experiment topic. Little Johnny buys a new tank, and the shop convinced him to buy fish too ( not one of our sponsors!). Or perhaps he won them at the. Ekka.

He has the options of

a. Using the supplied sponge ( no carbon)

b. Using matrix, or other media

c. Pinching some established media from his Neighbours tank

gives you surface area etc to talk about in your discussion, as well as the nitrogen cycle, and seeding bacteria ...

Still one step to complicated for my liking- but would work'

Yeah thats another option as well, because my original was to see if there was a cheaper alternative to matrix, as some in germany just use filter wool

but the scenario works too, i will have to talk to my teacher today and see which would have more potential for the better mark

:) thanks so much

I know you would prefer to pick up it all in one place, but if it comes to bits and pieces, I have 2 2x1 tanks, gravel and maybe some other bits and pieces. If some other locals to Strathpine and surrounding suburbs want to help out, I can pick it up, so you have the one stop. Let me know. Tony

and thanks for the offer tony :) once i decide on how to set it up, i will let you know :egrin: