Sign in to follow this  
vodo

African Cichlids acting weird after changing the set up

Hi all,

Someone may be able to tell me what is wrong with my tank.

3 days ago my fish were prefect acting normally.

I have a colony of Johanni and one of OB zebs in a 4 foot tank. With an Eheim 2217 filtering the water.

Yesterday I took out all my exsiting fish and all the stones and stired the tank up to try to cycle some of the water through - after this settled I added the new fish (Johanni) that I bought at the auction and Duck weed (which smelled a bit funny :( )

Today I came home to 3 of my fish dead and now all of the fish seem stressed out, they are opening and closing there mouths alot faster than usual. They are also staying low to the ground and resting a bit.

Any ideas what went wrong and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks

SImon

what are your water parameters ? did you clean the tank out at all ( you said some thing about moving out existing stones and cycleing water ???? ) , how much air is in your tank ?

Terry

Is it possible that in stirring your tank you moved about your substrate you released a small amount hydrogen sulphide?

I would do a 50% water change, and then another 50% a day later. Also, increase oxygen in the tank if you believe this might be an issue - however, i doubt it as you say they are staying close to the bottom, not the top.

I doubt it is something that has been brought in with your new fish and plants that has killed your fish this quickly.

Also, if it is your 2 new males that died, is it possible that they didn't travel well? Or were bashed? Johannii are pretty aggressive, so it would not surprise me if they raised hell in your tank.

Thanks all for your help.

Turns out it was a problem with Nitrites so I am doing a few small water changes over the next few days until the levels are back to normal. Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this