Sign in to follow this  
discus_noob

Light change affecting fish behaviour

Hey guys,

Recently purchased 6 x T5HO for my new three foot set up and lets just say wow, what a difference. Pretty much lights up my whole room haha.

I have a problem however. Need to sell my current lights on my existing 3 foot set up, as someone has purchased them weeks ago, however went to swap them over tonight, and when I took out my old 4 x t8 lights, and put my new t5HO x 6 lights in, the discus becomed so scared and shy. Both of them instantly went to the bottom of the tank basically laying in the substrate and both hugging the corner of the tank. As soon as this happened I immediately turned the lights off. Has anyone else come across this. I know they were shocked but I left it on for 30 seconds and they did not seem happy or look happy and I could not leave it on knowing they are unhappy. I guess the only thing to do is keep the old lights on until I purchase another set of t8's or the likes?

Has anyone come across similar findings when swapping lighting over in existing tanks?

Sure as hell was a wake up to me at how bright 6 x t5HO lights are haha!

I went on holidays for three days and left the lights off when i came home all my mbuna hid for awile. Do they have lots of places to hide if not this might help.

Not really as sold everything out of the tank apart from a killer large piece of mangrove.

I guess I will just go with my normal lights I have running and not use the t5ho until I get the new tank underway then. Shame as I wanted to see the discus true colour and get some killer photos.

6x T5's for a 3ft?

Cat in the headlights?

How would you feel with a spotlight on you from all sides?

Think about the fish not your pics......... :irked:

Sure as hell was a wake up to me at how bright 6 x t5HO lights are haha!

How do you think the discus felt?

Is haha the right response? :hothead:

Steve :roll:

Hi mate,

Remember our little fish mates don't have eyelids so any significant increases in light levels would be magnified in effect.

Maybe you could put in some overhead cover for them, like some floating plants or tie some small driftwood at water level for some more protection.

Good luck :)

They are moving homes in a week, and DW steve I am thinkinf of my discus, because if I wasnt then I would of kept the lights in use, I turned them off after under a minute and never turned them back off and returned to my old cruddy 4 x t8 set up. So dont worry I do take good care of them, and manage to care for them immensely. Just thought I would of tried out my new lights for my new tank in the making and thought wow the colours of the discus would be intense with these lights, little to my surprise did not expect them to be that bright ahahha.

6 x T5HO lighting is correct Steve, it is for proper growth in a planted tank. Was that option or a metal halide, and 4 x T5 lights for extreme growth. They are not for my discus tank Steve so do not worry, I just figured why not try it out and see what colours would come out in the beautiful discus with them. Light was on and off in under a minute so I did not scar or harm the little guys, just gave them a pretty quick fright.

The hahaha was because I have never turned the light unit on before setting it up and was stoked and excited of what is to come as I did not ever expect it to be that good :) Do not worry it is not like I meant to cause any harm and did not cause any harm as light was on and off in under a minute as mentioned as I realised instantly. My planted tank is going to grow like the clappers with these lights once I get it going!.... And do not worry there will only be a massive school of ember tetras and many sorts of shrimpies in it.

Hey discus_noob,

That certainly sounds like a lot of light over a 3 foot tank. I used to use a twin 3 foot T5 HO unit on my 3 footer, as seen in this photo. And it was more than enough.

bare_tank.jpg

I now use a twin 2 foot T5 HO unit on my 3 footer, and my plant growth is still impressive/excessive. But what I really like, is that I have not had to clean any algea off the glass in over six months.

I do realise that, but with the plant list I have coming, I do need the light penetration and 4 x t5HO wont cut it efficiently. I am wanting small leaved HC not HC that is wanting to find the surface for light. I am doing it in a brand new tank (not the discus tank) I only posted the behavior on here because I found it very interesting, however expected and wanted to see what others had done if they ever converted later stages to stocking fish out of pure interest how their fish adapted to their new lights.

Briztoon;

I am after a full set up, spent over 400 on ADA substrate addatives, over 400 on c02 equipment including bottle and regulator, the lights are important and was even tossing up over that or a metal halide and more t5ho ontop of the metal halide, and if spending so much on the tank and substrate and ferts and c02 then there was no point cheaping on lighting, especially for high demand plants like UG, HC hairgrasses, Eleocharis, blyxa japonica, and any other rare stem plants I may want to throw in at later date or use the light for another rare red stem plant tank. The lighting I have is perfect amount and not over done for what I am wanting. It will be a proper set up for doing even the highest of light requirement plants to grow successfully. I went out spent over 200 on new fertilisers, planting tools, even bought lillypipes and got a 3 foot by 20 by 20 inch tank rimless and supportless so no supports or bracing at all. This is all for this look and planted tank unfortunately. It seems like alot of light, and some would go holy moley, some would say they have had good success on only 4 x t5ho lights with HC however I was not playing anything by chance, and advised by a proper aquascapist, who does this for a living to opt for the 6 x t5ho lights which was optimum in his words. I will have a tank build soon of my own DIY project of ADA TANK STAND, and will be having my tank journal soon in the photog section so keep a lookout :) And I do admit, check my earlier pics of my own discus tank and the stunning growth I had from a simple 4 x t8 light unit with growlux and good bulbs and liquid ferts, was impressive and grew quicker than you could ever imagine, I will admit this new lights sounds like a massive overkill but we will wait and see. I do admit plants grow well under low light such as the ones in my old discus tank, never shown signs of ill health and very lush and green.

as stated was more wondering what people did when they went from a dull setting to a brighter light for more plant growth and how it did affect their fish if they come across similar issues as mine and how they overcome them? Just curious I guess. I am not using that light for that tank as it was for one minute to see the fish under a beautiful light spectrum and to see how bright my new lighting was for the first time. Just was curious how people did the switch of lights across and how the fish reacted if any reacted the same as mine, hence why thread was made :)

just take a couple of globes out of your light and let your fish get used to the new brighter light. then look at putting globes back in over a couple of weeks.

My Discus hid when ever I turned the simple single globe light I put over their tank as they had no lights before.

It took them a week or so to settle down;

No, I stopped using after one minute and returned to my old lighting on that tank. I did not want to scare them or stress them as I know how fragile discus are.

GOOD TO KNOW though Chump. If I ever have to do that, that is what I will be doing.

Depends on the fish.

I have 8xt5 lights on my 3ft saltwater and it is not enough to keep corals healthy :)

Fish couldn't care less and they have little hiding spots and all the live rock is in tubs.

When it is lights on they come out more and to the surface, probably associating to feed time :)

Sign in to follow this