Sign in to follow this  
__CAV__

Rio Negro Biotope

Hey guys and girls

I've decided to turn my SA community tank into a Rio Negro biotope tank.

The tank size is 6x18x18

It will be home to a breeding pair of green sevs, a few festivums, a breeding pair common BN, a L168.

thats what i have established so far.

What i would like suggestions on is a suitable schooling fish (i was thinking of a school of "hemigrammus Coereleus" (if avail. in Aust.), a few hatchetfish and a few pencilfish.)

I also will be putting a small school of corys in there too (robinae, rabuati, or other type from the rio negro)

So if anyone can give me some advice or suggest some suitable species for the biotope it would be greatly apprieciated

Cav

Hey __CAV__

Rio Negro tank scape is pretty easy as it's a black water river. White sand substrate, some larger river rocks, driftwood in the form of branches or root systems and lots of leaves, then more leaves. Oh and some leaves. Water should look pretty "tea" like.

Here's a link to a Rio Negro video.

Thanks for that Briztoon

I've already got sand and some rocks in the tank atm so now just to find a few nice root balls for the driftwood.

What type of leaves are available and where can i get them?

i was thinking about some floating plants aswell to give the fish a bit of cover.

Cav

Hi CAV,

Good to see more people with interest in these setups. The only limit is what's available in Australia, combined with the ultimate setup you'd like to achieve. I personally think a setup that size presents a lot of options, especially with the two core cichlids you've chosen to use. I presume you're going with H. efasciatus under the illusion that they're actually H. severus - obviously very similar, but located in different systems. The true H. severus (a mouthbrooder) is not available in Australia.

With the Rio Negro being such a populated, long river, you have a surprising number of options even after narrowing things down. H. severus and M. insignis are both from the Upper Negro in Brazil.

Corydoras species: C. duplicareus, C. melini, C. adolfoi. These are three that are moderately available at a reasonable price.

Tetra, hard to narrow these down to a region: H. socolofi (Bleeding Hearts), H. pyrrhonotus (Flameback Bleeding Heart) - Both big species that are aesthetically appealing and compatible long-term with your Cichlid choices. Few pencilfish species available as well, but I'd be worried about keeping them with adult Severum.

Others have pretty much covered decor/visuals, brown. :)

. I presume you're going with H. efasciatus under the illusion that they're actually H. severus - obviously very similar, but located in different systems. The true H. severus (a mouthbrooder) is not available in Australia.

Yeh the Sevs are H. efasciatus,

thanks for the extra suggestions with the tetras and corys.

i was also a bit worried about the pencil fish becoming lunch for the sevs.

i was thinking of a plantless set up, as i know my sevs both like too pull them out and eat them,

maybe just a smallish amazon sword or something and something to cover the surface of the water

thanks all for the links aswell, they gave me some ideas

Cav

Hey guys just a quick update

i've decided on getting 2 types of corys - raubuati/rusty corys and adolfoi/adolfo's cory

probably a school of 6 for each type.

still haven't really decided what type of tetras/pencilfish/etc to get

does any one know if these are available in aust.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=51163&genusname=Hemigrammus&speciesname=coeruleus‚Ć©=English

h_coeruleus.jpg

hey also does anyone know how to sex festivums?

thanks heaps for the help so far guys!! :egrin::egrin::egrin:

Cav

Personally I'd up the number of corydoras. I used to have a gang of a dozen julii and they look awesome in a large group. I don't know if two different species will school together.

Thanks for that briztoon, i think i might just get 12 of the adolfo's cory then

also does anyone know anyone that makes fake driftwood/mangrove roots that look life like?

Cav

I will be setting up something similiar to the rio negro biotype, but I aam not one for blackwater so I will be trying to keep it white, I will be adding in a couple java ferns and some val just to add a little bit of life. I have some awesome driftwood and some nice starter fish for the tank, The build will be starting in a couple weeks and will be doing a thread on it.

Just buy real driftwood. The tannins that slowly release will add to the tank.

im pretty sure you can't buy what i want. i plan on using driftwood, i just want something else made which i wont be able to buy or take from the wild.

Cav

Sign in to follow this