Sign in to follow this  
largeheaded1

fishy behaviour

hey guys i am restocking an american tank with geos. I have a brasiliensis who sometimes picks on new fish. Doesn do it to all of them but does it to some. I have got 3 new brasiliensis who he wil not leave alone. They are now all in a corner and all i can see is him nipping at them. Why do they do this? Could it be cause the new ones aren 100% healthy? Any help wil be great.

The tank not over stocked either its a 6 foot and all thats in there atm is 4 brasiliensis, jd and parrot all of medium size.

Have you got a lot of hiding spots for them? eg. caves or rocks so they can get away? when i introduce new fish i always move everything in the tank around so the fish that we're previously in there dont have a territory so to speak, i have a coupld of really dominant males that always pick on the newbies i guess just to show them who's boss

Thats it. Its the originals home. Anything new in his area gets harrased. If this was the wild the fish would just move on.

Move tank around, place in more hidey holes. Place the original in time out for a while,{breeders net, another tank...} change the tank around. Then re introduce after a few days

Frenchy :D

if there was another fish in the tank he was attempting to spawn with it would make sense, my brasiliensis pair get really violent with other fish when its time to get it on............other thing that it could be is there all female, as my large brasi male beat a female to death and severly injured his now current breeding partener when they were first introduced into the tank.....

hope this helps...

Sign in to follow this