Sign in to follow this  
loomis

Tank rebuild...your suggestions are most welcome.

I have just finished rebuilding one of my 4x2x2 tanks after wanting a different look. I decided to go with a lot of rock! So after spending what seemed like hours cleaning all the rocks and planning some sort of buildup, I came up with the following.

IMGP0464.jpg

But sitting back looking at it last night, it looks a bit dull. I had the idea that a big plant would look good in the centre, but then the thoughts just kept on coming. Some sort of plant that grows on the rocks themselves would look fantastic (if there is such a thing!?).

So basically I am chasing ideas...

What plants would you use? Where would you plant them? Things like that...as I dont have anything close to a good knowledge on plants, you will have to speak in simple terms.

Thanks in advance.

Leigh.

My thoughts, straight up.

Get yourself a well applied black background for starters.

15000K Light to give the rocks a bit of a glow, 15k is a tri-colour spectrum light.

Have a foot or so wide clump of rocks in the center, leaving about a 3/4 of a foot gap on each side, don't bother with swimthrough caves or anything, but on one end of the rock formation, have it higher, and have a dip in the middle. Don't make it too high though.

I'd draw it if I could be bothered :P

Well Looking at the way you have it set up I would be worried

That 1 of the stacks might fall

Plants I would put the biger plants at the back of the tank

And then going down in size to the front of the tank

And avoid clumping the same plants all in one place spred them out and mix them with other kinds

Roo

ill have to agree with roo some of those stacks look unstable

it looks a bit too man made maybe relax the style a bit and go for what your likely to see in a lake or rive or creek

peter

lol its a hard question specially when some of the members still like the fluro pink gravel and the diving dog ornament lol

Mate diddo for me on the rock stacks the only plant that would be good in low light is anubias which can be superglued to rocks and then take root directly to the rocks

Im repeating everyones thought, but WAY!!! too high on the rock stack.

Could cause injury to ya awesome fish and the tank.

i also have rocky aquariums, i don't make caves or anything, my fish usually dig around or under anyway so i don't bother.

Java ferns or moss looks good on and around rocks, but im new to all things planted but i love those two types.Anubis is nice too.

Dave

I can agree with what everyone had said above. The original stack looks too high, too unstable and too unnatural. I would make it look more like a random rock pile if you could. If you build it too high and it comes tumbling down, it could scratch the glass, or worse, break it !

As for the plants growing on the rocks, Anubias is always good. However, the rock needs to be a bit more porous than what they look like. If this is the case, lava rock would be your best bet. I've seen some really well established plants growing on lava rock. If you went to a landscaper, I'm sure they'd have some bigger chunks of lava rock that you could use for a centre piece.

one last resort would be to simply look at photos of other people's tanks. They don't need to be just on this forum either, as I've seen websites that feature tanks from around the world (wish I could remember the sites !)

Hope this helps !

Doug

9.jpg

That general shape is an example (a really good one obviously, it's an ADA competition entry) of what I was sort of talking about. So you've got open substrate on all edges of the tank, and your Saratoga is pretty much just going to cruise mid section anyway so it's all decorative.

That is scary looking....

Everyone else pretty much said everthing already have to agree with One big pile with some drift wood is the go. Choose plants you like not just anything. Just ask at LFS which are hearty and grow the way you want them too..

just my 2 cents

:lol:

Thanks for the abundance of comments guys...always good to get other peoples ideas.

You will be glad to know that I have heeded your warnings and done a bit of remodeling. The one phrase that turned me off the design was "man made", which was something I wasnt going for.

So now there is just a large mound of rock in the middle with a higher peak at one end, a lower peak at the other end and a valley sort of thing in the middle. After looking around for pictures and liking the look I have placed some java moss in certain locations...cant wait for this to start taking hold.

Thanks again for your comments guys...much appreciated! :D

sounds awesome... and they will flourish becaus ethis isnt anything that will eat it so it will take hold and it shall look awesome!!!!

try some elodia aswell it gorws really nice and bushy

Sign in to follow this