Sign in to follow this  
corny-ratbag

Oscar acting weird :S

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could help me work out what my oscar is doing. Today the pest people came to give the house a spray for termites so after feeding all the fish last night we put the plastic sheets you put down when painting over the tanks and taped them up so no chemicals could get in the tanks and turned off the air pumps when they were spraying.

When I went to feed him tonight, at first he wasn't interested which I thought was weird as he had missed out on the feed in the morning so I thought he would be really hungry as were all my other fish. So I left him alone for a while and went and attended to my other tanks. I came back and he looked interested so I gave him a pellet and he sucked it up and spat it straight out. My partner decided that I was doing it wrong, so she would give it a go and he did exactly the same thing. So we walked away and went and sat in the lounge room a kept an eye on him while watching tv.

After a while he started to dig in the gravel, picking it up in his mouth and swishing his tail where he had just dug and spat the gravel out somewhere else. We continued to watch him and he did it in the exactly the same spot every time. I have a suspicion that is very similar to breeding behaviours, however I did not see a tube and there is no other fish in the tank with him.

Also, I must note that I don't know if it is a male or female so we just call it a him :)

I have no idea what is happening, any advise will be appreciated

Regards,

Ryan

Hi, I am new to this fish thing, and my reply is not based on years of experience that many others on this forum have, but the one thing I have learnt as an oscar owner is, that they are the biggest sook of a fish around. They will either pout or destroy anything they can with the slightest provication. And that could be as simple as moving some timber or rocks. Thats just oscars. Hope thats all it is. Tony

Hi, I have kept oscars for a few years now and what you describe is pretty normal. I have wild caught oscars and they fight with their own reflection in the glass, so dont stress about it, if your tanks were sealed up as tight as you describe there shouldnt be a problem.

Awesome, great to hear. Thank you everyone for your reply.

Sounds pretty normal... Most Cichlids like moving substrate around. Has he eaten today?

I thought I had posted this morning, I obviously mustn't have :sweatdrop: I went down this morning to feed him and he was so hungry that he pretty much jumped halfway out of the tank to get the food out of my hand before I even had a chance to drop it! He ate his normal share of food this morning, the fact that we missed the feed in the morning yesterday must have upset him.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Ryan

Just out of interest, would anyone be able to tell me how to sex it? and if I can, would you recommend finding a mate for it? I have heard that you have to pair them up when they are little, this guy is about 30cm ..... so no so young.

Thanks again,

regards

Ryan

All the years I have been keeping oscars I have never found a way of sexing them. I had a pair once and they got along really great and one day I saw them laying eggs on their rock and I thought woohoo they are a pair, then later on in the day the eggs were eaten and I was dissappointed I thought well they are only young so I dismissed it then 2 weeks later they were doing their ritual then the other oscar layed eggs so I had 2 females. Oscars are a very hard fish to sex so unless you want to go out and buy a bunch of oscars the same size thats the only way you will get a pair.

All the years I have been keeping oscars I have never found a way of sexing them. I had a pair once and they got along really great and one day I saw them laying eggs on their rock and I thought woohoo they are a pair, then later on in the day the eggs were eaten and I was dissappointed I thought well they are only young so I dismissed it then 2 weeks later they were doing their ritual then the other oscar layed eggs so I had 2 females. Oscars are a very hard fish to sex so unless you want to go out and buy a bunch of oscars the same size thats the only way you will get a pair.

What a let down! I would be so disappointed :( Well I guess you knew you had 2 females and just needed to find a male for them :) Would you recommend trying to find a partner for it or is it to old to pair up?

get a partner for him/her

mine seemed really lonely untill I got a second, then third then fifth, lol

I found out one of my oscars was a girl when she layed eggs by herself, so I just went out and bought a boy for her, the Japanesde guy from Kedron Aquarium picked me out a boy took him home and they have been breeding ever since.

Sign in to follow this