Sign in to follow this  
africanman79

Airpump problems

Hi all i've got a aqua world aw404/4 outlet & a aqua one 9500/2 outlet air pumps that keep blowing diaphragms, they run 4 double sponge filters & 4 airstones between them, i keep them above the tanks there pumping so there's less stress on them, i've taken casings off so there cooler & still they blow out, anyone got any ideas or is there somewhere i can get heavier duty diaphragms?.

Pete.

If you have too much back pressure you will greatly shorten the life of diaphrams. Make sure your delivery pipe does not constrict or have too many bends. I keep the same diameter or bigger when leaving the airpump and then increase with a T of same or larger diameter. If your confident your delivery pipe is not the problem then use a bleeder valve to vent excess air. example, once you have enough air to run your filters, let the rest of air escape into the room. Air will always take the easiest path so by closing or opening this bleeder valve, you will control how much air goes to your tanks.

Clogged or deep airstones take quite a bit of pressure to run. If they are too deep or too clogged then your pump will also struggle and back pressure will mount up again. You can get one way (check valves) for deep applications but they greatly reduce air volume.

Sign in to follow this