Sign in to follow this  
Talpha

Sigh...6ft tank burst

Sigh...

Well, I have my prize tank. A 6x2x2 with sump with my beautiful colony of 7 Burundi Frontosa colony 25-30cm.

couple hours the go, the power tripped...I thought that was wierd...Got up and went to go outside to flick the safety back on and saw water coming out of my shed...crap...Went in and saw at the front of my tank water pouring out the bottom. Now check it seems that the silicon holding the front panel to the base had seperated and alowed the water to spew out.

Also had my office in there, so spent the past couple hours moving out all my desks, computers, books and heaps of crap.

Yeah so luckily I had a 4ft spare, managed to fill 2thirds of it up with water from the 6ft, and put the 7 fully grown frontosa in there...They arnt happy (me either).

I built a wall in the shed cause its a roller door, so I seperated it so I could have my office and a few tanks, and a storage part. But the wall was chipboard, and its soaked up a heck of a lot of water, i hope I dont have to replace it, but yeah. Oh and my work computer with my clietns websites and stuff on it had 5-10cm of water in it :'(

So yes, this sucks balls. two option, I can clean out the tank, take it to the shop get it resealed (might have to wait till monday till they open again). Then reseed the filter (have no way to keep it going tonight).

Other option which I actually think i will do is sell it all...The fronies NEED a bigger tank asap, and yes...then the tank.

Oh well, at least I have a good story.

Just wanted to tell you guys cause your all cool, and no one else cares lol...BUT ITS MY BABIES! I called my mum and she was all worried cause she thought someone might of been hurt, so i told what happened and she said 'Oh good, is that all'.

IS THAT ALL!!! Its like everything...haha :D Yeah so have fun reading :)

I feel for you mate, but don't sell if you can help it. I had a 5ft give way years ago and kept me little mates in the bath tub for a week till the tank got fixed, so if you have a bath tub!!!.

Shame your all the way up there, have a 5x2x2 fibre glass tub you could borrow.

Hope it works out for you and all the best.

Shane

Crap - man, that does suck. Big time.

Lucky you were home, eh?

Beg, borrow or buy a big storage tub tomorrow to temporary house the others that won't fit in the four fter??

Seems a shame to have to re-start all over again...

Kudos to you, though, for thinking of your fish.

Sign of a dedicated fish-keeper.

Your work stuff too - you poor poor bugger.

Hope all seems a little betterer very soon.

Thanks dudes.

Well its a sump and its locked in pretty tight, I do have a large seeded spnge im running with a couple powerheads.

I guess the major problem Im facing right now is money. I just had my first kid a month ago, and so we dont have money, but if we did its hard to justify fish stuff over baby stuff?

I think ill sleep on it. But I love the fish, but yeah I know I need to make my mind up I think by tomorrow or sunday, cause I want my beautiful fish to be ok.

we have 20 plus 6x2x2 in stock at underwood normal price is $360 if you get my stalf to phone me and you email me your name so i can tell them its you.

you can have one for $250 this weekend only to help you out .

kev@aquariumwarehouse.com.au

regards kev

very nice of u kev. great price too mate, good to see there is still some decent ppl out there, sorry to hear about ur tank mate if i could lend u the $250 for the new one i would. maybe alot of ppl could pitch in to help this bloke out?

Oh wow thanks Kev for that great support and slo_32 for the suggestion.

Its ok for now. Tomorrow I'll go to my LFS (know the guys personally) to get in contact with some tank makers up here and get them to check the tank. I can't see any cracks, it appeard just to be the seals (to heavy for me to properly check :P) so I will see if it can be repaired.

If not I might call your guys kev :) Thankyou very much

Good luck Talpha with getting everything up running and operational again.

Great to see all the generous offers of support from members. This is what truly makes ours a real community forum.

Peter

sorry to hear about wat happened , that really sucks. but its deffinately great to see so many forum members wanting to help out. hope all works out mate. good luck with everything and wish you all best for you ,your fishies and your new family. cheers jay.

hi how old is the tank

we once got about 10 years from silicone now we find its about 7 years and they say its better than it was 20 years ago. lol

i built a 5000 x 1200 high tank in 1992 on the gold coast and its still there .

to reseal your tank is too hard for most. we will not do them they dont last

regards kevin

Yeah, well I think we have almost come to a decision.

To fix or buy a new tank, will take me a week or two to get the cash together, but get the time to move or come down to brissy to do that.

So I think I am going to put my colony for sale, then over the next month fix/buy/ sell the setup.

But if theres not interest, ill take it as a sign to hold onto them!

:D

hi how old is the tank

we once got about 10 years from silicone now we find its about 7 years and they say its better than it was 20 years ago. lol

i built a 5000 x 1200 high tank in 1992 on the gold coast and its still there .

to reseal your tank is too hard for most. we will not do them they dont last

regards kevin

I'm tempting fate but my 4 footer display is 14 yrs old and has moved house 3 times and never leaked.

Recently bought a 6 tank set-up off the forum, 4 of them being 250 liters..........all those 4 leaked, one after the other, whilst cycling and one of them has leaked on the opposite end after I repaired the first leak and had subsequenly cycled and contained fish. Luckily, the leak was 4" up the side so the fish had a little bit of water to survive in till I discovered them. That's now been replaced with a new tank and I shall replace the other 3 one by one as I'm beginning to dread what I'll find in the fish room each morning.

Sometimes that bargain you find doesn't turn out to be such a bargain after all .............and how come tanks always seem to leak during the night? :roll:

kev

Sign in to follow this