sonny

how often should the bio media be cleaned?

whenever it gets so blocked that it impedes water flow OR whenever I notice a 'bounce' back of nitrates leeching back into water after being diluted by a partial water change. Even then I do it in old aquarium water.

since it houses valuable biological filtration. What I do (and many other people) is take the foam block ans squeeze it under WARM water (hot will kill the bacteria), which remove all of the debris. You can then reuse this, keeping the bacteria, and saving money. You should NEVER replace the BioMax since it houses VERY valuable bacteria. I find that the net holding the BioMax gets clogges with brown gunk. I put the whole thing in a cup of aquarium water, and then rub the brown stuff between my fingers. This way you can remove the brown gunk and keep the bacteria.

since it houses valuable biological filtration. What I do (and many other people) is take the foam block ans squeeze it under WARM water (hot will kill the bacteria), which remove all of the debris. You can then reuse this, keeping the bacteria, and saving money. You should NEVER replace the BioMax since it houses VERY valuable bacteria. I find that the net holding the BioMax gets clogges with brown gunk. I put the whole thing in a cup of aquarium water, and then rub the brown stuff between my fingers. This way you can remove the brown gunk and keep the bacteria.

There is no need to use warm water... just use your tank water and you'll be fine.

electronic gadgets-buy electronics

Car Diagnostic Tools-CarECU

by warm water, do you mean warm tap water?

if you do the chlorine will wipe out the good bacteria and you no longer have "biological" filtration.

Brisbane tap water is very high in chlorine/chloramine.

And cleaning filter media in it is probably the leading cause of dead pet fish after forgetting to add dechlorinator

Just for the record....with an established bacteria colony....they form a biofilm

Washing in chlorinated water wont kill the colony.....just those on the surface

Personally I use sponge filters which I wash weekly in water removed during water changes

only the surface layer of the colony is alive. Its built up on the remains of its dead.

you kill the surface layer of a colony and you for all intensive purposes kill the colony.

cleaning in old aquarium water prunes back the colony.

using chlorinated water burns it.

theres a good reason the council used chlorine to keep our tapwater free of bacteria that can effect our health.

Its dam good at what it does.

and thats kill bacteria.

There is a reason why bacteria have been around for millions of years......they have very Good defence systems

http://www.wcponline.com/column.cfm?T=T&ID=1482&AT=T

and if you don't want to read this.......here is a quote

Biofilm-associated bacteria have been reported as being up to 3000 times more resistant to free chlorine, compared to their free-floating counterparts.

Still don't believe me?

Goggle for yourself..... ;)

Oh how rude of me for trying to stop you from killing other peoples fish.

I read a lot amigo and I will read that.

but this is not a new game for me

and you should realise you have no bloody idea what microbes call a forum members filters home

let alone their individual chlorine tolerances.

using old aquarium water works and maintains microbe diversity.

No worries sport.....I'm not upset... ;)

You obviously are!

I keep fish for relaxation and enjoyment and believe I have build a considerable knowledge in the subject

which I'm Happy to share/discuss with others.....I have no problem with an intellectual debate and have been proved wrong on occasion(not this one!)

I must say from my point of view emotive rants don't fall into that category.....but if it makes you Happy then....enjoy!

To be fair and continue an intellectual debate.......Please post the link that describes biofilms as being the remains of dead bacteria

DUN WASH EM IN ANY WATER ITS POISON HAHAHAHAHAH

sorry not funny,

but Rod it is not a good idea to put helpful views across as people do not like to be challenged on the mighty internet, didnt you know!!!!!!

ITS ONE VIEW OR THE HIGHWAY MR :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

ps Im on your side Rod, but i cant say it out aloud, peeps might yell at me, n i get upset n wanna cry n hide in the cnr,,,,,, they be nasty keyboard warriors round here.....

:soppy: :soppy: :soppy: :soppy: :lol::lol::lol:

but i do love it, iffen ma telly ever breaks, we have so many mini series goin here i wont ever have to get it fixed

Tap water is unlikely to kill all of your Nitrosomas bacteria but may kill enough to cause in mini cycle and an associated ammonia spike - stressful for most fish , harmful to some and even fatal to a few . It is too risky for me .

I use Aquarium water to wash out my filters .

Your fish - your risk

Hey sonny,

I was always taught to clean filter media in aquarium water. I rinse my canister media, hoses, spraybars, etc out about every two to three months.

Thanks DFF.... ;)

You're slow....but you're learning....Well Done!

I take your point though and would change my post....if I could

Just for the record....with an established bacteria colony....they form a biofilm

Personally I use sponge filters which I wash weekly in water removed during water changes

you have no bloody idea what microbes call a forum members filters home

let alone their individual chlorine tolerances.

using old aquarium water works and maintains microbe diversity.

Ah you sure that was a wise thing to do Rod?

I mean I am just gonna file you under douche with regards to future interactions.

Just for the mentally challenged......you know who you are ;)

This first sentence is a statement of fact.....not a recommendation kiddies

The second sentence is also a statement of fact.....that could be used as a recommendation

File me where you like..... :innocent:

seems like you two are arguing the same point back at eachother. I notice that a filter that has been rinsed in tap water still cycles quicker than a new sponge off the shelf, so yes i agree that it doesn't "kill" the biofilter, but it does put the bacteria back a little. Rinsed in old aquarium water, the filter doesn't miss a beat. Thats just my own observations. I'm sure if Rod wasn't doing something right then we wouldn't be seeing such good fish come through his import room :)

I didnt realise it was an arguement, I just thought he was being a total douchebag.

Maybe if he was breeding impressive stuff, I would be in awe.

But importing?

srsly?

Moot points aside, its takes little effort to use a little manners in the forums.

Those that cannot be bothered to do so are also usually the biggest drama queens in fish world.

Again....just for the record.... ;)

I don't own or operate an import room....must be another Rod!

but I have had fish in my possession breed

and I have been known to rinse out a sponge filter in tap water...without fatalities

but then a lot of people who smoke don't die of lung cancer!!!