Sign in to follow this  
noyakfat

Who can I get to drill my tank on Sunshine Coast?

Hi folks,

As per Subject line, I am trying to find somebody on the Sunny Coast who can drill my tank.

I will be after four holes for bulkhead installation in the back panel of my 8x2x2. Obviously I am not interested in carting the tank somewhere, so I need a mobile service.

Any suggestions? I am a bit scared of sourcing the diamond crusted hole saws and doing it myself. I'd rather see a pro do the job.

If you know anyone with proven track record of successful drillings (i would just die if they broke the tank) I would appreciate hearing about it.

Cheers,

i no how it feels i drilled my first tank a few months ago but was woried about cracking it but it was easy aslong as u take four time and let the hole saw do the job its easy i recon u go and get a bit and do it yourself and u can reuse the drill bit forever

if your not sure get a piece of glass and prac on it u will be drilling holes every were in no time

tip 1 start the drill on an angle so the bit dose no jump alover the place amd make a mess

thanks mate, I am getting tempted (I have done so many other things in DIY mode :lol: ). I think your suggestion of a few practice runs is a great idea.

I'll just have to try and source a hole-saw bit of appropriate design (and size). Better get those measurements for bulkheads worked out.

Any suggestions on source(s) of decent quality gear to do the job? I've heard people say they get them online, but I'd rather get something in a shop I can have a look at, if at all possible.

I am open to suggestions :)

I think you would find that most places wouldn't be willing to do it, or at least they would not guaentee that it wouldn't break, since they have no idea on the build/glass age etc and its too much of a liability for them to risk being responcible for it should it crack.

On that note, i'm in a similar boat as you, I have a 8x2.5x2 that i need to drill 12 holes in (When i had it made i had 3 drilled in it but with my new build I shall need more for the CL) and so i've ordered some diamond hole saws and will be doing it myself. Drilling glass isn't all that hard really, as long as its not tempered glass and remembering to go very slow with water you shouldn't have any problems to give it a go youself.

Also just note from what i've read about it, the older you tank is the harder the glass is the drill, something to do with the glass getting harder with age or something

i got the tank in March 2009 and it was brand new (I am assuming it is not very old glass). I doubt very much that it is tempered, but will try find out from the place I bought it (if they can check with the manufacturer for me) first.

I am getting tempted to give it a go myself. If so many other people have managed it, I'm sure I am capable of doing it too :lol:

The earlier suggestion of practice sounds like a good thing to do.

My irrigation place is shut until Monday, so will find out the dimensions of the bulkhead fittings I selected and work out from there what size holes I need to drill.

Cheers,

as a rule of thumb give your self 10mm extra on the bulkhead size

for mine i use 32mm bulkheads and drill 42mm hole.... 20mm for the spraybar so i drill it 30mm

i get maybe 1 mm play between the glass and bulkhead so it's easy getting them in and out

Well maybe you could go visit the shop first and at least see what they say, especially if going there isnt too far out of your way.

They might have some tips for you seeing as they build so many.

Better to be safe than sorry

:)

You will be right give it ago its easier than you think

As said in above posts try on another peace of glass first start drilling on an angle once it has started and made a cut into the glass stop and pour some water over it and start drilling again dont push hard let the cutter do the work if the cut starts looking dry use more water you need it to look like a slurry,it will cut better and cooler.

As said try on another piece of glass first.

I found some in Bunnings $36 for 25mm, $49 for 38mm and $66 for 50mm. There are a couple of others in a different brand too, but forgot to write down the price. Will go check again tomorrow.

The bulkheads I am planning to use are Hansen 15 mm and 25 mm.

I will get a quote tomorrow from the shop at Maroochydore for drilling the holes. If it comes even close to the total price of two different size drill bits then I'll get them to come and do it.

Cheers,

Check out Mitre 10 or Trade Tools... from memory they're cheaper than Bunnings for the diamond holesaws.

To make starting the hole easier get a piece of acrylic and drill out a hole the same size as the outer edge of your diamond holesaw. Then you just lightly clamp the acrylic to the tank and start drilling with the holesaw in the hole. If you have a few holes to drill and want them all nice and straight measure up the hole in the acrylic so that you can line the edge of the acrylic piece up with the edge of the tank so you're not measuring each hole.

As others have mentioned definitely get some scrap glass to practice on... its not hard but it'll just give you the confidence to do your tank. The hardest part is when its breaking through, gotta take that really slow to stop it chipping.

Sign in to follow this