Sign in to follow this  
cleobhp

breeding black ghost knife fish

Hi, has anyone on this forum bred or know of anyone that has bred black ghost knife fish. I have heard that they wont breed in captivity. Is this true?

Ok, the reason why I ask this question is back in 04 i bought 2 bgk from an auction, 3 years later we decided to swap some fish around, we had oscars, bumble bee catfish, a nemurus catfish and heaps of others in a 4x2. When we were taking all the fish, rocks and logs out we saw a little BGK in there. We wondered where it came from, it turned out the parents had bred, we spoke to some well known people in the hobby, and they said BGK are extremely hard to breed. I since sold the parents and named the little 1 lucky, cos with all those fish in there he was lucky to still be alive. So has anyone else bred them?

Wow thats amazing that one survived! very lucky indeed. I heard its really hard also. And that the reported spawns have all been in different conditions so its hard to have anything to go by. I heard of someone who had success keeping them in shallow tanks and the substrate used was glass marbles. This lets the eggs/babies stay down in the gaps so the parents cant eat them. Inducing spawning would be difficult or a fluke I imagine.

my brother in law used a bare tank and a small chinese container with 20mm stones in it and no light dark room and lots of bloodworm and the girl has a shorter snout

I fed mine a lot of blood worm as well and the PH in that tank was neutral. Its nice to have a spawning like that especially when its not expected. There could have been more than 1 but will never know. We are just lucky that 1 little fish survived, hence his name Lucky

Sign in to follow this