Sign in to follow this  
cram

multitank rack - where to drill - top or bottom?

I'm setting up a multitank rack (2 levels) with 8-10 tanks.

looking to plumb for central filtration but a little uncertain if I will drill at the top (i.e. front or back) or on the bottom for the plumbing..

in brief - hole in the bottom means that the plumbing passes under the tank - so no hoses at teh front or back..

but hole at the top of the front or back means if there are any leaks you'd only loose a bit of water at the expense of having the plumbiong stick out..

at the moment i am leaning toward the bottom towards the rear..

your thoughts and experienced welcomed..

Personally I would drill the base of the tank and use a stand pipe as it will make it easier to drain if you even need to remove the tanks. Also, as you said it means that you don't have stuff poking out the backs of the tanks, therefore they can be placed closer to a wall. Just make sure that everything is sealed and it will be as good as gold :)

if ya go thru the base u can run a pipe to near the top and it will only surface skim the water so it only drains top 10 mm of water... your able to have it cleaning the bottom of your tanks if u put a bigger sleeve (with holes drilled at the base of it) over the pipe coming up but then u have pipes running up n down the tank fish like to hide round them when nets are about

dodgy phone pic from my 4x18x18risers and sleeve.jpeg[/attachment:bjkjrb1y]

with 2 i have 1 taking water from the top and the other from the bottom ...... cleaning 90% of the crap into the sump and making a vac pretty much a non event

What kinda tanks are they? Breeding or Show tanks? If for show tanks I personally would go for the side/back, and through the base on Breeding tanks. Drilling through the base can also be bad if you need to sell the tanks later, unless you sell them as a complete set up for breeding.

But thats just my opinion.

Sign in to follow this