Sign in to follow this  
vodo

Snails in the Aquarium

Hi I have got African Chiclids and since I bought some duck weed from the Auctions I have a snail infestation :( GRRR They are eating the plants and I want to get rid of them. What is a safe way of getting rid of them without harming my fish and my plants?

Thanks

Simon

Although I don't keep Africans, I jhave used a product called No-Planaria for ridding tanks of snails.

It wipes out planaria, also has a nice side effect of eliminating snails.

Company manufactures shrimp products and it has no effect on shrimp or fry - although can only say that is what is said by the company, and I've had no ill efffects on my shrimp/shrimplets and in my community fish tank...haven't used it in a fry tank.

If you have a look on the aquariumlife website, there are a few people on there that sell it.

It IS expensive though... but very effective.

Main thing with snails, is don't overfeed your fish.

if you do use no -planaria, prepare to do some gravel vacs for a few days after using to ensure you get rid of snail corpses.

Thsi will eliminate risk of ammonia/nitrite spike from decaying snails.

Clown Loaches are the usual method, but they need to be a reasonable size to be effective.

I don't mean to be snobby but I personally wouldn't use any chemicals to eradicate snails in my tank.

The other option is to put a piece of driftwood in there and pull it out every night and scrape off the snails.

They will be attracted to the driftwood or any food source.

HTH

Steve :mrgreen:

Sign in to follow this