Sign in to follow this  
americanlover

a couple of answers needed before i start my breeding setup

Hi all,

Ok our new house is almost finnished & i"m wanting to make a good breeding setup, this is my thought i want to use 9 x 6ft tanks 2 would be made into 4 x 18x18x18 = 8 small tanks, 1 would be made into 3 2ft tanks, 2 would be changed into 4 x 3ft tanks & the other 3 6ft tanks would be for my 3 types of GEO"s ( love my geo"s ). the last 6ft tank is a 6x2x2 and it would be used as a sump, the pump i will be useing is a LAGUNA max-flow power jet 11000 LTR. as grow out tanks i have 4 x 1000 ltr plastic bins with a 5000 ltr pump returning to the main sump. anyway ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREAT.

Q 1: is a 18x18x18 big enough to breed dwarf south americans like aapisto"s & rams ?

Q 2: would it be better to use a 6ft tank made into small tanks or just get the small tanks ?

Q 3: is it better to have the bulkheads at the top or have them come up from the bottom of the tank ?

THX FOR ANY ADVISE .............Paul

If its not too late, lay some stormwater pipe in the slab of the fish room. Nothing worse than having ugly drainage pipe accross walkways.

Put two different electrical circuits into the fish room so if the power trips out on one, you dont lose filtration. Have plenty of powerpoints so you dont overload circuits.

Insulate the room but have good airflow so you dont have humidity problems. Typically this is a doorway with an opening window on other wall for venturi to suck air in. A skylight would be nice if you can double glaze.

Have a central airpump as well as central plumbed filtration. An airpump is rediculously cheap back up. Sponges, box filters or just airstones will help with your DO.

I would use individual tanks instead of partitioning a large tank as small tanks will be cheaper.

35mm hole to take 25mm plumbing fittings is pretty standard. Plumbing pipe/fittings are measured from internal diameter whereas electrical pipe/fittings measured from outside diameter.

If you have hole from bottom, you can bottom drain by adding a sleeve over the downpipe or top drain/surface skim by having the downpipe bare. However, you may find it inconvenient to catch fish around an internal downpipe. Some people put downpipe in the middle of tank because of this. If you do use a downpipe, I recommend drilling a series of holes around the top of the downpipe which acts as a pre-filter. If ever these holes get blocked then the water level will rise until it flows over the edge of the downpipe. Some people drill on side of tank whether it be high or low.

Would also drill a drain hole on your sump and add a 24/7 slow dripper through carbon filter (if not on rainwater) to automate water changes.

If using IBCs as growout, be aware that most L numbers will slowly die from eating plastic as they graze of the sides. Return your water by trickling down mesh as you will need high levels of dissolved oxygen for growout.

Sign in to follow this