Sign in to follow this  
computerman

Unexplained behaviour

Why on the 5th day as the eggs are almost ready to hatch, did the male kick all of them out of his log, only to be eaten by other fish. I wasnt quick enough to get the eggs to put into another tank?

Marc

thats a good question

pepps and orange spots are notorious for that for me i can think of a couple of reasons

1. a clumbsy new parent sometimes they grow out of it

2. Wanting to breed with another gal

3. Something is wrong with the fry and theyre not developing properly

4. sometimes they lay the egg too close to the front of the log instead of the back

these are only suggestions it will drive you nuts and theyre doesnt seem to be much to do about it sith some of them i take the male and log out into a smaller tank and in other i scoop up the eggs and tumble

good luck

peter

You could also add water quality, another male trying to get into the log, ph fluctuation, they just didnt adhere the way they were supposed too, food type, or just plain and simple accident by the father.

OK near a month to the day, they laid eggs again and again on the fifth day he kicked them out, up until the fifth day they were adhering in a big clump well, but during the fifth day I noticed the eggs appeared to be getting fungus on them, and began to unadhere over a 4 hour period!!!

Any suggestuions???????

As per a pervious post a user suggested to scoop them out and tumble!? whats the best way to do that with out damaging the eggs in getting them out to start with! Then what do I do?

Regards

Marc

Tumbling eggs usually involved a plastic kitchen strainer and an airstone.

Scoop out the eggs with a net and put them in the strainer. Depending on your setup you can put them into another tank and attach the strainer floating inside your current tank. If you put them in a tank with other fish be aware that other fish will pick at the eggs through the strainer. I have made floater out of containers from the cheap shop and they hold one of those strainers nicely. Putting the strainer into another tank without other fish will stop that problem plus giving you the ability to add some meth blue to help stop fungus. I have never had problems with fungus and never needed to do that but other people have.

Once you have the eggs in the strainer you need to put and airstone underneath the strainer and have the bubble coming up from underneath and going up around the sides. Please note the bubble shouldn't be going through the strainer, this will add to your fungus problem. When the air stone is in place you should notice the eggs are starting to move around. Adjust your airstone so the eggs are moving but not bouncing all over the place. If they bounce too hard it will kill them.

I have found that once BN eggs have hatched they like to be able to attach(suck) onto something. If they can't get to the solid part at the top of the strainer I like to toss in a medicine cup for them.

Hope that helps

Jenny

Tumbling eggs usually involved a plastic kitchen strainer and an airstone.

Scoop out the eggs with a net and put them in the strainer.

Where do I get a net small enough, to fit inside the log? to scoop them out with?

Regards

Marc

If they are stuck in the log I use a wooden skewer to gently dislodge the eggs. If they are stuck in the log then I would leave them for your male to care for. If you are worried about them being kicked out and other fish eating them, then put him and the log in a floater that way if the eggs come out the other fish can't get to them. When you get them out then just scoop with a normal net. If they are loose in the log usually just rinsing the log out gently will wash them out. That usually works for wigglers too.

They didnt spawn at all last month, the only changes where addidion of another male in case my current one is shooting blanks, and introduction of a few falamebacks, I've set things to back how they were before, as the second male is mising some scales off his back so put him and the flame backs in their own 4 footer. how long before they should spawn again?

Regards

Marc

I think Bn will spawn about every 4 week (don't quote me I maybe wrong) but that all depends on the fish and what they want to do. We use to have BN breeding constantly with no problems then we had some problems with worms and other stuff. After sorting out the problems we thought they would go back but after months of waiting we didn't have much luck at all.

You are best to just leave them be for a while and see what happens. Do you girls look gravid (full of eggs, fat)? If so you could try a water change using some cold water. I have heard this will help them spawn but I have never tried it.

Jenny

Sign in to follow this