Sign in to follow this  
whiteknight

Raising Tropheus duboisi fry

After a recent w/c i found a Tropheus duboisi fry in there he's around 1.5cm never raised these b4 , have raised many malawi fry so would assume they would be the same apart from the food , so after some general info like

Food - ( feeding spirulina power atm and brine shrimp )

Best water conditions- ( have ph, gh & kh around the same as my malawi tank )

Any other helpful info would be useful

Terry

You could try some scalded Zuccini as well

Water conditions are same as for other Tangs but cleaner .

So long as it is very stable a bit alkaline with no ammonia or nitrites it should be ok .

Stability is essential !

yer its stable seems to be all fine with the water paramaters this little guy would have been eating crap pretty much but the female from my pair has another mouthful and there all ready to be spat out most are heads and tails atm ( she spat a few out when i moved her to my holding tank , which she picked back up ) , so zucicni with new fry would be ok ?

Terry

I raise my Tropheus fry on spirulina and NLS soaked and then crushed up, the better the water i.e. more water changes, the faster they grow

Avoid the brine shrimp, don't feed high protein food or else they'll develop bloat

Any other questions, let me know :)

Thanks for the help will just stick with the spiralina flakes crushed up , so basically they grow the same as any other african regarding w/c's etc ?

Terry

Pretty much, once they've left their mothers mouth they seem to be strong enough to live in a large tank

I leave my fry with the adults and they're all thriving

They're fast swimmers as well

:)

Yea don't feed brine shrimp or blood worm, the adults wont eat them as said, other tangs will though if its a mix tank.

I found the easiest way to get fry big and healthy quick was NLS cichlid in a pepper grinder, a few turns and you have small enough bits for them to eat, alot of people soak the food first, I never bothered and never lost a single tropheus, they are pretty hardy, I think its more a problem of overfeeding them, then the actual food swelling in there intestinal tract.

Grum.

Yea don't feed brine shrimp or blood worm, the adults wont eat them as said, other tangs will though if its a mix tank.

I found the easiest way to get fry big and healthy quick was NLS cichlid in a pepper grinder, a few turns and you have small enough bits for them to eat, alot of people soak the food first, I never bothered and never lost a single tropheus, they are pretty hardy, I think its more a problem of overfeeding them, then the actual food swelling in there intestinal tract.

Grum.

as much as i hate agreeing with Grummies, good advice, pepper mill works a treat, and most so called un explained deaths, are due to over feeding, inthe years i kept n bred many tropheus small feeds, let em stay hungry they will be fine, dont leave food floating around n let them peck at it all day recipe for disaster, a very simple easy fish to keep.

:soppy:

Sign in to follow this