Sign in to follow this  
mthom211

Tang tank

I'm converting my Malawi tank over to a tang tank soon and I want to know some good stocking levels. The tank is a standard 55 gallon. At the moment I have a pair of julie maleiri "gombe" but I think they broke up. One which I am assuming is the male is really skinny and swims aropund the open water. Is there a reason for this behaviour. He stopped eating for a while after a wond and is still not fattened up. I want to have 1M 2F black calvus, The julies 1M 2F leleupi and a multi colony. How will they all get along. I have 2 distict rock piles seperated by my soon to be shell bed. I could put another in the middle if needed. I would also like a fish to swim in the open water above the shell bed but is cheap so no cyps. Maybe a peacock, has anyone had succes with this?

The male being skinny and swimming around in the open could be anything (parasite treatment may help) as for the stocking they should be fine together just keep your eye on the Leleupi as they can be quite nasty, secondly even a Peacock will be to boisterous for tangs so i would recommend Cyps or even some paracyps for the open areas.

Dave

What should I use to treat it, melafix? I wont be able to afford cyps, I'm getting some mollies for dithers though. Is there some sort of goby cichlid that would be suitable and hom much to paracyps?

The Leleupi might not go well with the Julies

They're pretty similar in behavior and territories so they probably will fight

The Calvus might, but probably wont eat the Multis

Apart from that, so Calvus, Julies, Multis are a good combo

For another fish you could try Ventralis as open water swimmers if your tank is big enough

Goby cichlids get pretty aggressive sometimes and they stick to the rocks

So its a definite no on the leleupi? I think it will just be one julie as the skinny julie is eating and the poo is the same as all the other fish and none of the other fish show those simptons so I duobt it is a parasite becuase wouldn't it have spread to the others in 7 weeks? I don't want it to die but I don't know what to do. How much are the Ventralis worth as I cn not afford anything to pricey.

Probably not on the Leleupi.

Yeah I had the same thing happen with my Julies, the battered one never recovered

Can't really do much

I'm selling my colony of 9 Ventralis for $300 (see Livestock section)

But what size tank do you have?

The only other fish I can think of is N. Brichardi

They cruise around the tank and are pretty cool

You can get albino ones too

Not too pricey either, I can get a pair for you from a friend for maybe $25 (I used to own them)

:)

I have a 55 gallon, I can't afford the Ventralis, they look really nice though. If I remove the beat up julie to another tank would it recover? I was told brichardi pair would take over the whole tank and kill everything otherwise I would love to have a pair.

lol yeah they might if they breed, they're usually peaceful until they breed

um other fish hmm

can't think of anything else really for open water swimmers that are suited to tanks less than 6ft

Apart from that, so Calvus, Julies, Multis are a good combo

I had Julidochromis Ornatus in with my Calvus - was ok till the julies spawned - it then erupted into total warfare .

I had to sell off my julies and the few remaining fry .Calvus are VERY fond of Julie fry and Julies are very protective of their fry .

For me it was a recipe for disaster .

N.Caudopunctatus might be worth a look !

Yeah everything becomes a problem when they breed

But if you're keeping that one Julie then it shouldn't be a problem

And I doubt the pair will bond together if you put them in the same tank -Probably end up fighting

Sign in to follow this