Sign in to follow this  
corny-ratbag

WARNING SOUTH BRISBANE RESIDENTS, TEST YOUR TAP WATER!

Some of you may have seen the unfortunately loss of rosequoll's fish which was the result of toxic tap water. Her readings in Salisbury were .5-1ppm nitrites, .5ppm ammonia, 60-80ppm nitrates and mine (in Eight Mile Plains) within seconds have started to look much the same. I will give a final reading in about 10 minutes.

I urge everyone to test their water before doing a water change! When doing so, can you please post your results here so we can stay updated.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ryan

Thanks for posting this. Don't want anyone else having the issues I've got right now. Highly suggest that people start using water drums and aging the water before doing water changes. I've set up a 200ltr one now (too little too late?) and even after 24 hrs the water is much better.

And just to add, I'm a she, not a he. =)

And just to add, I'm a she, not a he. =)

Oh, sorry I didn't think about it, I just wanted to post it quickly. I apologise.

Not bothered at all, just figured it was worth point out. I'm glad you posted this though.

Bunnings trip in a few hours to get another water drum....

And then I'm going to coldrock and buying a giant tub o coffee icecream. And eating the whole thing.

never once in over 30 odd years of fishkeepin have i ever had an issue with tap water, sympathies with your loss!

I live at Redcliffe too and have had very bad Ammonia levels in the Tap water - As Recently as 3 weeks ago even had the water come out brown for 48 hours a month ago - I age mine in bins ! NOW

yeah i read your post ian, weird hey, i have never in all my years had any issues with water here, apart from a few highs n lows, and i have bred many many touchy species, i always look abit further into these things, sometimes the most obvious is not always the culprit, but sad nonetheless.

ray

Holy shit guys, this is insane. =(

Heading off to Bunnings now to buy a water holding tank. Will ring the council in regards to water quality when I get home.

I just hung up the phone from Qld Water Utilities Lab after speaking to one of the Chemists there.

She stated they're getting varying readings from all over Bris .... different readings, different days, different locations. This is because the new Grid Manager (employed by Utilities as opposed to Council) as he switches sources of water around depending on capacity of various holding facilities (reservoirs) more so than Council used to do. The chlorine readings are up very high in certain regions at the moment & apparently it is made worse in winter because it doesn't evaporate off.

Basically the Chemist's advice was to test our tap water prior to dechlorinating so we know what dosage concentration to use, and she applauded the use of our water aging system i.e. large container of dechlorinated water with internal filter circulating water, airstone to oxygenate & heater.

It's just bizarre that so many people from all sides of Brisbane have lost fish today all of a sudden & you have to wonder how many others who don't frequent the forum have also met with tragedy & lost their fish. Tap water at Morningside was 0.25 Ammonia this morning.

I think I'll be double dosing with Prime as a matter of course from now on, screw taking any risks.

If you want to speak Qld. Utilities 132 657 - there's no point in ringing Council, they have nothing to do with water anymore. I got put thru to the lab by the young man who was devastated to hear of so many ppl losing their pet fish.

Holy sh%t guys, this is insane. =(

Heading off to Bunnings now to buy a water holding tank. Will ring the council in regards to water quality when I get home.

I rang them and they said to contact Queensland Urban Utilities, on the phone to them now.

I just hung up the phone from Qld Water Utilities Lab after speaking to one of the Chemists there.

She stated they're getting varying readings from all over Bris .... different readings, different days, different locations. This is because the new Grid Manager (employed by Utilities as opposed to Council) as he switches sources of water around depending on capacity of various holding facilities (reservoirs) more so than Council used to do. The chlorine readings are up very high in certain regions at the moment & apparently it is made worse in winter because it doesn't evaporate off.

Basically the Chemist's advice was to test our tap water prior to dechlorinating so we know what dosage concentration to use, and she applauded the use of our water aging system i.e. large container of dechlorinated water with internal filter circulating water, airstone to oxygenate & heater.

It's just bizarre that so many people from all sides of Brisbane have lost fish today all of a sudden & you have to wonder how many others who don't frequent the forum have also met with tragedy & lost their fish. Tap water at Morningside was 0.25 Ammonia this morning.

I think I'll be double dosing with Prime as a matter of course from now on, screw taking any risks.

If you want to speak Qld. Utilities 132 657 - there's no point in ringing Council, they have nothing to do with water anymore. I got put thru to the lab by the young man who was devastated to hear of so many ppl losing their pet fish.

Hmmmmmm, I am on the phone now, don't want to hang up. Will see what they say. Maybe if enough of us complain they will do something about it.

I'll call as well in about an hour. Have to hit the postoffice first.

Just spoke to the same person as BettaBettaB and she said that nothing can be done about it. There are so many different companies controlling everything that it becomes nearly impossible to work it out. She suggested we get a chlorine tester kit, however can not suggest where to get one from as pool shops have "free chlorine" kits, when we would want "total chlorine" kits. She said that they put a chemical (I can't remember what i was called .... some chlorine) and ammonia in the water when treating it. Hence the current parameter readings.

My tanks are due for a water change and I have no idea what to do as I am to scared to use the water straight out of the tap without testing it :?

yeah i read your post ian, weird hey, i have never in all my years had any issues with water here, apart from a few highs n lows, and i have bred many many touchy species, i always look abit further into these things, sometimes the most obvious is not always the culprit, but sad nonetheless.

ray

Bingo !!!!!! On the case Ray :grin:

Never had a loss due to water thus far but have had losses due to my own mistakes :worm:

Dave

While I understand that human mistakes are generally the culprit, I've been keeping fish for years now, and my partner has for even longer. We've gone through EVERYTHING we can think of and it's come down to the water.

ray

Bingo !!!!!! On the case Ray :grin:

Never had a loss due to water thus far but have had losses due to my own mistakes :worm:

Dave

Well I wouldn't do a water change now .....

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33811

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33801&p=196780#p196780

The chlorine and nitrite levels are through the roof!

While I understand that human mistakes are generally the culprit, I've been keeping fish for years now, and my partner has for even longer. We've gone through EVERYTHING we can think of and it's come down to the water.

Rose, it is the water .... It isn't your fault! There is no use ringing QUU, but they have stated that the levels are extremely high and to quote "the water is treated for drinking water, not for fish tanks".

Rose, it is the water .... It isn't your fault! There is no use ringing QUU, but they have stated that the levels are extremely high and to quote "the water is treated for drinking water, not for fish tanks".

Did major wc yesterday no probs fingers crossed just tested water all seems ok .

Dave

Did major wc yesterday no probs fingers crossed just tested water all seems ok .

Dave

What time did you do it? And when did you do yours Rose? You said the main hit was last night right?

Sorry for everyone's losses... but ammonia and nitrite are nothing new in tap water from various areas of Bris.

I've said this a few times... most ammonia test kits will detect chloramine and most people in Bris will have it in their waer. Nitrite in tap water is common in many parts of Brisbane, with varying concentrations on any given day.

It seems people only seem to test their tap water AFTER there is a problem and then blame it. Might be worth investigating a bit more.

I had a similar problem 3 years ago with test kits reading abnormal levels of ammonia,nitrites and nitrates.

I never lost any fish but i could see that there was an issue with the water from the behavior of the fish.

I had Logan water here who took samples of every tank and system including the tap water from my house and the neighbors around me.

The problem was a high level of chlorine being added to the water at the time as the water quality from the lakes was quite bad due the to low water levels in the lakes.

After rigorous water testing by Logan water who said there was no problem with the water I disputed their findings so I was invited into their lab and we re did all the tests including testing with my kits and the end result was the chlorine levels being so high (5 times higher than normal at the time) were having an impact on our aquarium test kits resulting in false readings of nitrites and nitrates.I found out after that the Aquasonic test kits were the only ones suitable to use here as the high chlorine levels did not seem to effect them.

I personally think this is your problem again and when you boil things down everyone doses with their prime,ect to what the label says on the bottle.

Now if people did the right thing and understood how a chlorine neutralizer works those dose rates are for a certain amount of chlorine in the water and by not testing the chlorine levels at every water change most people are never adding the right doses to their tap water.

The next issue is most treatment plants around Brisbane are switching to chloramines which is a combination of chlorine and ammonia.

Once you add the prime or what ever you are using it breaks the bond of these 2 items and allows the chlorine to dissipate with the aeration of the new water but the ammonia is left in the new water.

Once you do the water change you are adding ammonia to your tank causing a mini ammonia spike instantly.

The problem with chloramines is it can take up to about 10 days to break the bond and fully remove the chlorine and ammonia but the catch here is to be able to remove the ammonia you need a cycled filter to consume the ammonia therefore creating nitrites.

Adding a seeded filter into the new water does nothing contrary to what a lot of people will tell you here as the chloramines instantly kills the good bacteria.

Once chloramines are being added to the tap water it becomes a catch 22 situation and the best way to manage them is to age the water for about a week with a double or triple dose of prime and then do smaller water changes twice a week.

Doing this will allow your filtration to consume the smaller amount of ammonia that you are adding to the tank and it will be less stress full and toxic to your fish.

Read the label on your neutralizer to make sure it does remove chloramines and not just chlorine.

NEXT PROBLEM

All of our water storage lakes reached near or full capacity over the last 3 months and many of these lakes have not been full for at least 10 years.

Now there is hundreds of tons of grass and under growth plus all of the nutrients in the water from land run off and all this crap is only just starting to rot and break down causing some dreadful water conditions in the lakes.

Some lakes are now beginning to roll over causing fish kills and the toxic blue green algae is breaking out quite badly now and will only get worse as the weather warms up over the next couple of months so be prepared for some pretty bad water coming out of your taps between now and the end of the year until this rotting matter finally disappears and the lakes settle down and stabilize again.

Aussie123 according to Seachem's Customer Service Centre (they'll email you a novel within 24 hours if you email them via their website), Prime binds and renders harmless ammonia & nitrite completely instantly. Ditto the chloramine combo.

Sign in to follow this