matt_a

People and 'frontosa'

The FS sections are constantly filled with people selling 6 bar 'frontosa', and zaire blue 'frontosa' etc etc. Obviously they are just behind the times, but how long must we wait until we can start correcting people?

Cyphotilapia frontosa has 7 bars, the fish that most people are referring to as the common 'frontosa' from Burundi is an undescribed species best referred to as Cyphotilapia sp. 'North' and the varients from the south of the lake such as the Zaire types are officially described as Cyphotilapia gibberosa.

This has been the case for several years and I assumed it would take some time for people to start using the correct names, but its 2007 now and I'm just wondering how much longer people will go on using incorrect names.

Nah I don't, but I do foresee a possible problem. When people mention gibbies they are usually referring for the gibbiceps carpet shark..... I don't know what you could use as a nickname for gibberosa that would match the convenience of fronnie.

i often wonder what is the point of learning these latin names as they seem to change so often. when i was keeping jack dempseys in 1978 they were called 'cichlasoma biocellatum' ... now they seem to be nandopsis octofasciatum or cichlasoma octofasciatum depending on where you look. but if i just say 'jack dempsey fish' people know what i mean :P convicts, firemouths, blue acaras all seem to have different latin names to when i first learnt them but the common names are the same.

Yeah, but like you say, people will still get the wrong impression using gibbies as shortened name. As it is now, at least people know what you mean when you say fronnie. You just have to specify what sort you are referring to. I like the idea of being the first forum to start using the correct names though. I'm gunna go feed my Cyphotilapia sp. 'North's' now :lol: (my Northies) :lol::lol::lol:

matt

The General Common Name for Any Frontosa/Gibberosa is Frontosa, no matter where you come from,

The New Varients of Frontosa have only just came into australia, and even so limited people have purchased them due to there Cost $$,

being New into the country you dont think everyone would just automatically know about each varient of Gibberosa / Frontosa could atleast wait until everyone catches up, most people prob dont realise there is so many different Varients of them, i couldnt even be bothered menching them cause most of them arent even available as yet.

They prob have heard of the Zaire/Tanzanian etc but each one has aheap of Varients of there own.

I dont think people should need to list exactly what are because most would be like you said Cyphotilapia sp. 'North' (really unknown, Burundi)

If people are listing them as Frontosa noone would think they are 7 Bars unless stated 7 Bar fronts, and only people who would pay the big $$ for the Varients would list them correctly, noone in there right mind i think would list a Moba as "" FS: 5-6 cm Frontosa """

as you can prob already see on the livestock section, Keepers such as Doug (DFishKeeper) and Darren, (sealordau_01) has already listed them.

and i doubt that many people in australia could even tell the difference between any of them.

if you think that people should, im sure www.cyphos.com would be the excellent site for you.

Cheers

The original topic

Just wondering how long we all have to wait until we can start yelling at people for referring to striped fish from Lake Tanganyika as 'frontosa'?

Good luck mate,DONT start talking about the red ones from Thailand.

People often ask questions like, why dont experienced fish keepers and or people with certain knowledge and answers to questions reply to Topics on Australian forums

" i can see them logged in but they dont reply"

Recent events on Local forums have made that answer very clear.

There are great wild caught fish comeing into the country at the moment from Africa. But really after F1 tey just get lost in the system.

Fair call mate good luck.

Evan

Mate the only problem I see is if someone makes it a problem even the cyphos website still call them comonly as frontosa. Common names just make it easier for the buyer. This way even the newest of the new fish keeeper knows what a frontie is as the first book they get is a cheap one and usually a good 10 years since it was originally printed, and these use older names.

The point is they have a correct name and we should use it. Just imagine if everyone referred to every species and varient of Aulonocara as a 'peacock.' Hang on, a lot of idiots actually do that, and look where we've ended up. 5 years from now at your LFS.... "Assorted frontosa $10"

can you put a link to the information you are talking about with reference to their names.

i dont think it needs to be changed, Ad Konings doesnt either, have you read Tanganyika secrets?

he is one of the most knowledgible people on frontosa and all tangs and he ferers to six bars as frontosa. is he wrong???

Also you might want to ask all book shops to recall every aquarium book while you are at it as they all have incorrect information in them. :roll:

matt

And while we are at it can we get people to stop using the term 'Pseudotropheus kingsizei'. I know they don't have an official accepted name but it would seem that the educated would approve of using Pseudotropheus pulpican 'Kingsizei Likoma' as the name for the blue morph from Likoma.

I'm not fish savvy enough to wade too deeply into this debate, but I would like to mention the fact that all fish have a scientific name and also a common name. the common name varies from country to country for many fish. the common name is the name COMMONLY used by hobbyists and retailers and breeders. if we all know what a 6 bar fronnie is then it is a 6 bar fronnie.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Brent.