SaltSpraySandwich

Filterless freshwater aquarium. Will it work?

Hi, I'm in the process of planning a new tank for my male Red Devil. The tank will be a 5x2x2 or larger. I'm thinking of using the tanks substrate (sand) for passive nitrification and also using a small pump for waterflow. I know that alot of salt water tanks only use passive filtration, but im not sure if it would work for freshwater. Is this a bad Idea, what are your thoughts?

thanks

Gavin

Personally if it was a planted tank with very few fish not a problem but being a red devil tank and the waste output of these fish not worth the risk you would have to have good filtration in there to keep him alive. Just my thoughts.

Not a good idea the amount of wate a red devil produces is huge so you need loads of good bacteria to break it down. Without a filter you will end up having waste floating around your tank as there is nothing to pick it up.

If you go undergravle add an inch layer of gravel over it then place mosquito mesh over this then another inch layer of gravel over that , that way the rd can only dig as far as the mozzie mesh and leave the filter intact.