FISHLIFE

CANISTER FILTER

My Wife is thinking about buying me a canister filter for my birthday/fathers day as a present

im currenty running a otto 2000 in a 6ft tank.

Ive never owned a canister filter befor so i know nothing about them , my wife and I would like to here the advantages and disadvantages of having a canister filter

here is the link to the one we are thinking of buying

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JT304-2000L-H-CANISTER-FILTER-ALL-FILTER-MEDIA-NEW-/250670515562?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies#ht_2958wt_911

Cheers Peter

Not a fan of canisters with a square seal. They seem to be very fond of leaking when you clean it and put it back together.

I used to have one of those round Otto450 canisters but it got full very quickly and I was always cleaning it as I have plecos.

I have since upgraded to two Eheim 2217, one up each end and they run like a dream. Haven't have to clean either for weeks. :)

Hi

Just my two cents consider going to ben at age of aquariums and having a wander around

hes good for warranty and prices and the same for russ at redlands pet centre youll get discounts if you tell him your a qldaf member and hes have good warranties too

brand isnt as important as being able to get parts or having it fixed under warranty

peter

eiheim is a pain if you have trouble getting it fixed (just an example these are great filters lol)

i use an aquaone CF2200 on my 4ft and a jebo 819 on my 3ft, both great filters.

Advantages that i find over using externals rather then internals is you can usualy do a fairly good job of hiding things such as pick ups and returns. Unlike trying to hide an internal otto filter. Thats if you are worried about being able to see these things in your tank. JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH.

Why spend good money after bad when for probably much LESS than what those eBay clowns are asking you can get a quality AquaOne filter from Russ @ Redlands Pet Centre Capalaba - it's a no brainer!!!! The AO filter has a 3 or is it 4 year warranty, parts easy peasy to get, quality media supplied - if you can't afford Eheim or Fluval than AO will do you a treat.

Im with BettaBetta,

I once bought a canister filter online, it was suppose to be a eheim, thought it came with everything,

by the time i filled it with media and taps it cost me more than actually going to get one from my lfs,

oh, did i mention i had nothing but dramas with it, with the flow rate and the noise it made was crazy,

got no support from the people who sold it to me what so ever so i ended up grabbing it and throwing it in the bin

and went down to my lfs and bought a FX5 and have had no problems what so ever,

so my point to my story is, go to your lfs and buy one off them because you should save you a little money and

you will have no dramas with the filter

I would recomend fluval canisters, we have a lot of different types of canisters on our tanks but the good old fluvals are the best. The fluvals we have, my husband bought 20 years ago, he shut down the tank for a few years, then 7 years ago we got the tank up and running, put the fluvals on it and they started up straight away, and we are still using them today.

I too would recommend the 05 series fluvals I have six of them at present only one has any issues ( just the "O" ring ) .

Also have Eheims - Fluvals do not filter quite as well as Eheim classics but are much easier to live with - Eheim pro canisters I will not even discuss .