holden1862

Discus pair fails at raising eggs

I have a discus pair that has laid a few times now but they dont seem to be able to raise the eggs. Last batch i did see i fry that had formed and was moving its tail but im guessing they ate it. Any ideas or they should just get better at it over time?

Cheers

I have a discus pair that has laid a few times now but they dont seem to be able to raise the eggs. Last batch i did see i fry that had formed and was moving its tail but im guessing they ate it. Any ideas or they should just get better at it over time?

Cheers

how old are they? what are the water parameters?

My Leopard snakeskin pair laid 20+ times before getting their act together. Finally they're raising 80-90 happy fry. Others were successful at raising their fry from the first spawn. Assuming water parameters are fine - we can only be patient.

Good luck, they're worth the wait.

Shaun

it is not uncomon for it to take new parents upto 6 months to get a successful batch.

the Discus i used to have took about that amount of time from their first attempt, and even then the female would get stressed out when the fry became free swimmers and used to eat them, so she'd have to be removed b4 that stage.

its all a learning curve, for them & for you.

have fun :-)

I have seen breeding cones set up with a protective cage that goes over the eggs once they have spawned. This allows air flow but no "lip flow" and can prevent egg eating and wiggler eating. May be worth a try?

when putting an egg guard over the eggs you will have to use an anti fungal as the parents cant get close enough to remove the bad eggs and fan the good ones. white eggs mean that the water is either too hard or the male isn't doing his job. try slowing the current in the tank so the male has a better chance at fertilising the eggs. The best and easiest way is to let them lay in a community tank a few times so that the parental instincts kick in and they learn to guard the eggs well. once they have it sorted once they are generally fine unless you have stubborn fish.

HTH

Cheers guys I'll wait another couple of times and see what happens. They are spawning every 3 days after last lot of eggs are gone. So not alot of waiting to do.

sounds like you may have 2 females by the sounds of that.

I would agree with that statement!

every 3 days?

If you want to learn more about discus go to.....

www.simplydiscus.com

Steve :mrgreen:

Cheers guys I'll wait another couple of times and see what happens. They are spawning every 3 days after last lot of eggs are gone. So not alot of waiting to do.

sounds like you may have 2 females by the sounds of that.

Sorry to disagree with this but how can it be 2 females if he claims that the last batch he saw fry forming and tails wriggling? :)