artagel

question about venustus

I recently acquired a colony of 6 mature venustus, the largest of them is the male (about 15 cm) he has colored up and is clearly the alpha male and the other five are all typical female colors and patterns, I was told the 2 largest are male and the other 4 smaller fish are female, the 2nd largest is only slightly smaller than the male but is not colored up like a male...yet, will the smaller male not color up while there is a dominant male present? I have read on a few sites that the males will kill each other... If this is the case these 2 males seem to get on, although 1 does not have any male coloring and appears to be female colors...Has anyone got experience with these fish can tell me if maybe I have 5 females or not.

yeh this is normal he dose not wont to anoy the dom male by showing off thats y he is dull coloured

have a look at the no dom face if he has a bright yellow strip running dow it forhead and dose it have a faint blue colour on its mouth/gills if so then it is moast likly a male im no expert on venustus but mats my 2 centse maby some one elce with exp in them can help moore

When there is a dominate male in the tank it is very hard to tell the difference between the sub-dominate males and the females. Easiest way to tell is to move the dominate male to another tank for a week or so and if there is another male in the colony he will start to colour up and show the male markings. Common giveaways is the yellow strip down the front of his head and blue gills and mouth. I have not heard or seen them kill other males, however there maybe some aggression when mating. Best way to avoid it is to have a large male to female ratio (1:2+).

I hope that helps,

Regards,

Ryan

Yep looks like the other male is just behaving in a sub dominant manner, has the yellow stripe on forehead but is otherwise colored and patterned like the 4 females so he can blend in, might start another tank and seperate them... thanks for the advice folks