nativecollector

Filtering B/N breeding tanks... Ideas?

Bristlenose are filthy beggers, so how do I filter the water without a sump, powerhead, canister or hangon filter?

Algae wafers make the water cloudy, and it's virtually impossible to remove without completely replacing the water.

I have a sponge filter and a corner filter in each tank, but I'm thinking about just dropping a bag of Purigen and a bag of carbon into each tank. Would this assist in taking the cloudiness out of the water, even if they're just on the bottom or suspended? Has anyone tried it?

Hopefully this might be a cheaper option than a sump...

Gday,

Well I have always filtered my B/Ns with a few combinations pending on size of tank and numbers of fish. To help cut down on waste from B/N's I use fancy guppies and fancy snails as a first line of attack. I only use internal Otto's and just add either a spunge in the oposite corner or a hang on filter. If you want the B/N's to grow healthy and quickly and cut chances of loosing alot due to Amonia spikes and other nasties well you cant go past filtering. If by chance you ned to filtter a large storage drum/ grow tank well another greaidea is converting a pond pump/ power head into a filter by attaching filters to in takes (if you need more info on how too just pm).

Hope this helps

Cheers

Johno

Cheers Johno.

Ideally I'd like to have internal filters in all the tanks, but they would soak up so much power, as I've got heaters and airpumps running all the time. What I'm doing at the moment is using one internal filter, and rotating it through the tanks as needed. Do you think bags of quality media just placed in the tank would be beneficial at all?

B/N are biggish trios all with fry around 1-1.5cm. They would have around 50 fry each, probably more.

Description of current setup (old photo here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30656&p=182412&hilit=+tier#p182412):

- 3 tiers

- 3 x 100L 2'x18"x18" tanks per tier

- not drilled or sumped

- corner filters and sponge filters in each tank

Feeding:

- algae wafers every 1-2 days, the green Australian made ones or Hikari. Both cloud the water.

- zucchini one or two times a week

- not hugely dilegent in removing food until it's eaten (happy to work on this if it's recommended)

So if I feed them wafers when lights go out, and remove left overs in the morning, would that help?

I did have a lot of fry drop off from one trio in the past, but they all had sunken stomachs from birth.

Well i see that you have 2 options.

1) hook up overflows and a pump down to a sump of some sort all tanks being on the same sump

2) have 1 internal filter per tier and connect tanks with pipe over the top like a upsidown U, if you dont care about the babys mixing in tanks then you could even just leave the pipe ends open and the babies will roam freely between the 3 tanks.

i would just make it so that what you feed them is not even there 12 hrs later

rather than removing whats left, just get a feel for what they will eat.

just make your own overflow box, i made one the other day, was easy as.

of course making 9 will be expensive, but there are alternatives.

what i would do would be

1) make 3 overflows, one for each tier

2) join tanks together with U's

3) either overflow each tier into the sump and pump back up to top, or if you can get away with it, overflow top tier into tier 2 and then tier 2 into tier 1 and then tier 1 into sump then pump sump back to top tier.

you should end up with a zig zag flow, but will minimise plumbing.

i would still leave spounge filters in all tanks, so technically you will only be doing good by adding filtration. I have just done this with my breeding setup, although mine is quite tiny in comparison.

I'm thinking, for starters, I'll make a few overflow boxes which drain straight to a sump. The thing I can't get my head around though, is the return plumbing, is it as simple as it would seem - a 9 outlet piece with taps?

Alex, any chance of a photo of your plumbing, sump or overflow boxes?

Daunting stuff ;)

ok i painted up some shiz

1) is my setup

untitled.JPG[/attachment:1cc19qay]

2) is one option for you (easiest)

untitled2.JPG[/attachment:1cc19qay]

3) is another option for you

untitled1.JPG[/attachment:1cc19qay]

not too hard to setup, and wont cost you that much..bending all the pipes will be the most time consuming.

i would recommending doing double runs of each overflow, just incase.

by a glass drill off ebay, drill the tanks in 2 seconds, use t sections out back of each tank or do bottom drops into 100mm-150 pipe, run those to end into sump easy as, alternative drop top level into middle, then middle to pipe, n bottom both to sump,

you return piping is the easiest, use black irrigation tubing with cheap taps into each tank, can be shut off in a minute (each tank if needed) very simple stuff

hth

ray

Thanks Alex, appreciate it! Option 3 looks like the go for now, for that bit of extra work, it'll mean the water quality is a little more consistent.

Ray, cheers for clearing up my water return doubts, I'll see what Bunnings has to sell me. I do like the idea of drilling the tanks too, it seems like it would save a lot of work in the end. Are bulkheads and strainers easy to install? I'd have to drill the tanks with a dropped water level...

I once went around to a BN Breeders house one day for a look and all they were running were those black foam looking air filters ( not sure what they are called ) in each tank and a huge air pump running the system

The tanks weren't spotless but the BN were breeding like rabbits so they must have been ok

Yeah, just the sponge filters, that's all I have plus the corner filters all running off the one air pump.

All my B/N trios had eggs within 2 days of dropping them in the tanks, so the water is good (test wise), but it just doesn't look too flash.

I know what you mean though, I've seen other peoples tanks with just sponge filters and they look pretty decent. I think my problems may come down to overfeeding.

Thanks Alex, appreciate it! Option 3 looks like the go for now, for that bit of extra work, it'll mean the water quality is a little more consistent.

Ray, cheers for clearing up my water return doubts, I'll see what Bunnings has to sell me. I do like the idea of drilling the tanks too, it seems like it would save a lot of work in the end. Are bulkheads and strainers easy to install? I'd have to drill the tanks with a dropped water level...

hiya matey

if u want i have spare diamond tip holeswas here, casn show u how to drill them also if u like, n give u some basic tips for plumbing, easy to do on the cheap,

let me know!

i have been crook all last week n this week, so not really in a position to cruise around to help,

thanks ray :mrgreen:

I have 3 x 2x2x18 all next to each other. I was in the same position as you about 2 months ago and was trying to decide what to do. I thought about doing the U-Pipe idea, but ended up biting the bullet and buying an Ebay drill bit and going for it. It was my first time drilling and didnt break one tank.

I drilled each tank once to suit a 25mm bulkhead (middle tank twice) and plumbed them together with pvc fittings. Then i used a canister to suck from a tank on the end and blow into the tank on the other end. I found around 400L/H suited the bulkhead flow nicely. (with strainers) Filled the canister with sponge and matrix (you could use purigen if you want).

I also run sponge filters in every tank. It seams to work quite well for me and you also only need to run one heater.

EDIT: Just realised you have 3 Tiers. Probably more cost effective to run a sump then 3 cansiters. but if you don't want to run a sump this is another option. :)