rion if you were going to be setting up breeding tanks, go with 2x18x18. I personally havent had the pleasure of having my fish breed for me yet but i have jsut set up a breeding rack and after tlking to lots of people who have been in the hobby for many years they reccomended the 2x18x18... jsut gives the tank a bigger footprint. i know its a bit irrelevant to the post but just thought id add my 2 cents worth

good luck with it all

ive been told a few things by diff tank makers but im told plate glass is ideal

do not use hardened as if u hit it wrong itll shatter, laminated is just 2 thin bits stuck together with a bit of glad wrap between it, so plate would be the go. just what ive been told though, also dont forget to use the right silicone :) acetic cure make sure it has suitable for aquariums on it :)

the glass used for fish tanks is called "FLOAT"

"tempered" or" toughened" glass (also called safety glass) is useable but cannot be cut and will shatter not crack if it breaks, it is however a lot stronger than "float" and more expensive to buy

Laminated glass is two layers of glass seperated by a fine layer of plastic.

I have seen it used in aquariums but would not recomend it as it is considerably weaker than float.

for smaller tanks, 3 foot and below, it would be an option for those on a budget, or if it was free.