japes

Removing Beard/Brush Algae

Anyone had any experience? I've figured out the algae problem in my tank is Red Beard/Brush Algae.

I'd like to try and treat it without removing or adding any living animals from the aquarium, so Siamese Algae Eaters are out. Are there any sun block style treatments or products available that will safely nuke this stuff? I don't mind the look of some of it but its starting to overrun my tank.

Cheers,

Ryan.

too much light?

work out gallons of your tank, if its more than ,or is 2 watts of light per gallon of water look at getting more plants and then use ferts, or repalcing one of the bulbs with a higher kelvin rating or actinic bulb or get a new light :cry: haha.

what k (kelvin) rating are your bulbs. dont use 10,000 k bulbs they might be too bright for the type of tank you want . might have to give up the daylight bulbs for ones that arent as good in flourishing algae.

also the one in my room (tang tank) youve seen, its exactly 2 wpg (waatts per gallon) and is still getting algae but on glass only ... so far.

I'm at approx 1.66WPG so it's not too much light. 4x54W 10000K with reflector.

The Red Beard/Brush Algae I've got is apparently introduced. It's very slow growing luckily and I don't really mind it on the wood, but it's on my plants which is slowly killing them, which is a real pain in the bum as they're slow to grow as is in a 28" tank lit by T5's.

So far all I've found is removing everything and treating with bleach, which is.. everything, because it's on all of my wood and even appears on my sand if I don't stir it up every week.

inject the stuff direct - or hit the whole tank with an extreme dose. As I said I use SAE's - Excel in excess has risks to fertility.

Best of doing a google as I know you can use but not how. You can also apparantly use hydrogen peroxide direct too. Again I know no details.

I have succumbed to the dark side, introduced 3 Siamese Algae Eaters/Flying Foxes, quite sure and was specifically told they were the real ones but I'll do my research now.

So cheap too.

Tank is no longer SA only :P

Maybe you can just move them in and out as needed. That's if it's possible to catch them. Do some research and check you have the right ones, or they may end up being more trouble than good. I have been caught out a few times.

I can't see any in my tank at the moment (millions of hiding places) but I trust the store and I specifically asked if they were the real or fake, and the employee, who's a knowledgeable fish-keeper said they were certainly the real ones, provided by Bayfish who sell theirs marked as Real or Fake in the listing (as I just checked). They were also cheap at $4.50 each and the fakes seem to cost a bit more.

I'll check for the serrated lateral line going right through to the end of the caudal fin when one comes out of hiding. Unfortunately they're only about 3cm long, and my 4" Blue Acara could easily scoff them, but they're too quick during the day and there is plenty of hiding spots between rocks for them at night so I'm hoping for the best. As soon as I put them in one rested on a piece of wood and was eating the brush/beard algae off it for about 30 seconds before 'inspected' by my Cichlids so that seems positive.

If I can indeed catch them after the Algae is removed I'll be alternating the three of them between my SA Cichlid community tank and my 5" Planted Community.

That's good. Just check for thai flying foxes, they are commonly mixed up with the real. They are more aggressive and don't eat much algae. One pet shop sold me three and one was a thai, when I asked why it was different they just said a different strain. I when back and showed them that some were actually thai and they didn't seem to care. That's what the wholesaler sold them as and that was good enough for them. The disappointing part was they continued to sell the thai's as real siamese.