Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy3057

Starting a Cichlid tank/breeding Cichlids

How would I go about starting a Cichlid tank?

Then progressing onto breeding them?

Also what are some expensive and good looking Cichlids to breed/have?

Provide pics plz.(Name of Cichlid+price in stores w/ pic)

Thanks guys.

Depending on how much time and money you have

the best cichlid to breed would prob

be Frontosa's!!!

but thats my opinion

and well im more of an yank than a african hehehe

well i do own the best lookin long fin oscars who keep laying eggs n eatin em:(

well goodluck

Tim

Money and time are no issues.

I just want to know as much as I can before I step into cichlids.

That said I would still like to get into them to see how good they are......

BUT.....Not sure where to start.

Even if you're Bill Gates, you dont have to pay lots, infact some of the best looking Cichlids are pretty cheap - especially on this forum. The only way to "know as much as you can" is to actually keep them, so I'd advise you start with cheaper stuff. As much as I liked my 7 Bar Kigoma Frontosa (expensive), he didnt look anywhere near as cool as any of the below fish. As helpful as everyone on this forum is, I have successfully broken many of the rules that I was told about when I started. Not paying much doesn't mean you have to have ugly fish, just need to find good bloodlines. Here is a list of my fav cichlids (African & Yanky) with a ball park price they're avail on this forum. All around the (4-6cm mark).

Flameback ($4-$6)

Electric Blue ($4-$6)

Festae AKA Red Terror - see my profile pic ($6-$10)

Just go to Google Images and slap these names in for pics. Add at least $10 to these prices if you buy them from shops.

A very basic guideline for cichlids overall (some are very different) is PH in the high 7's or low 8's. Temps between 23 and 28 degrees. Once you know what cichlids you want go to www.fishprofiles.com, and click on "Fish Profiles" with your fish name ready - gives you in depth profiles for almost all tropical aquarium fish telling you how they like they're tanks setup, How big they get, how to sex them, tips on breeding and much more.

Good luck mate.

Thanks people.

The reason I ask for this information is I am a aquarium enthusiast but not in Cichlids mostly in Eels/native fish, catfish and plecos.

So I don't want to get into Cichlids and have them all die, I spend a lot on my fish, I really don't want to spend a lot on them and have them die due to lack of information.

Any more information that anyone can give just post it.

Yep I'm with you.

I tried to do it "learning as I went" and I lost so many fish and wasted so much money on stuff that didn't work or stuff that I didn't need. This went on for over a year!

But I didn't have much experience with fish either; so you will probably do a much better job than me :ewink:

My main problem was not having a pet shop I could rely on for advice.

Thankfully I found one and haven't had any problems since then.

I guess the first thing you have to decide is whether you want africans or americans?

Cause each setup is so different.

I used to have africans but recently switched to Americans...

I really love both...

Africans/Americans.(people choice?) Difficulty of the fish is no issues I had hard to maintain fish and they turned out alright till....my housemate added a sick one into the tank.....and you no the rest....

SO ANYWAY.....

I want all the info you can give me as Cichlid keepers....google only goes so far...

Sign in to follow this