Potter24

Penn-plax Canister filter

Hi All,

I'm only new around here. Thanks for the endless supply of information. I have wasted many hours searching for everything i need to know.

I'm picking up a 6x2x2 on Saturday to replace my 3x1.5x1.5

My question is,

I'm receiving a brand new Penn-Plax Cascade 1200 for free off a customer of mine. specs say for tanks up to 600L.

My tank measures about 650L empty. so once i allow for substrate and rock etc, will this be enough?

Should i try talk him into giving me the 1500 instead? its for tanks up to 750L. i dont know how much luck i will have, i might have to give him some more shelves.

I have used a cascade 700 for a few years on my 3 ft tank and it seams to do a pretty good job.

Or should i ditch this idea altogether and make a sump?

Thanks in advance

Josh

Hi Josh,

IMO sumps are the go if ya got the time money and patience, nothing wrong with canisters, however, I feel the one you are talking about will be to small, personally i would go the next size up from the larger one your talking about, or Fluval FX5 or similar.

General rule, you cant have to much filtration. HTH

Brendan

Ill see what he can do for me. If he doesn't have the fx5 or something bigger could 2 of those filters work?

Most probably Josh, may not be a bad idea to have two filters so you can clean one out at a time, still got bio media if one breaks down etc,

But generally speaking, the bigger fluvals, eheims, etc are very reliable and would probably do a better job.

Six of one, halve dozen ot the other ? Im not sure

Maybe some one else with some experience in that area will chime in.

Regs

Brendan