Z

Aquariums R Us Tanks?!?

I was out stalking fish stores today and while out in a particular shop (won't name names) I couldn't help but overhear a couple looking for their first tank a 5ft x 2 x 2.5 with cabinet etc. The store we were in wanted about $1600. Well I can't help myself. I love seeing people get into the hobby, and well I also love saving money so I couldn't help but say to them that they could get the same setup at Aquariums R Us for about $970 (which is what I paid for mine)...dude that's a $600 dollar saving!

Oh lordy...next thing I know Mr. 42+ years of experience, make a sale using fear is on my back telling me 'Oh its okay I know the Boys from A.R.U, and they're great but they're tanks crack and your house insurance won't cover it and they don't use quality glass and blah blah blah...and let me tell you if I had just been starting out and someone gave me all that crap I would have stayed away from them too..but I've bought my tanks from ARU and no problems here...

But seriously it really grinds my gears when someone totally sh%ts on someone else with no good grounds to stand on...'oh but in the last so and so years we have 30+ people come to us with cracked ARU tanks...ARGH! Oh this was my favourite...'It's like buying something from crazy clarks aka (ARU) and then buying something from Myer...' GEEZ!

Oh then the most favourite thing I love to hear from fish store guys...'how many years of experience do you have?' What does it matter? Fair enough if I'd only had my 1ft tank for a week, but...lets just stay I'm not gonna be arrogant enough to give you the whole...'i know what I'm talking about I've had tanks for 42+ years, I got 100 tanks at my house blah blah blah...

ARGH!

Then as I'm walking out my favourite part of the whole experience, 'now was there anything you were looking at buying today'...lol...YEAH RIGHT! I don't buy things from people that shit on others to make a sale...

I've scratched that shop from my list...

So, people who here's bought tanks from Aquariums R Us...? Any cracks...?

No, I don't work there, but I do buy my tanks from there and they are great guys. Oh so helpful and always willing to help you out...and cheap...Geez you'd be crazy to not buy your tanks there...lol..

Any way thats my gripe for the day....

Stupid freakin arrogant fish store guy...

Z

well ive had problems with acouple, i had a 8x2x2 crack, n a 4x2x2, i used to buy there tanks i dont any more they sell 8x2x2s for $425,(if uve already bought heaps :D ) but id rather spend 500$ on one knowing its going to last from a builder who takes pride in there work, but thats just my 2 bobs worth

he he, no not really...but you know desperate sales guys, when they think they're gonna make a sale they have the hearing of an Alsatian that or they're always lurking behind a corner somewhere...lol.

and maybe ARU even provides tanks to that shop? if their tanks were that bad they wouldn't still be in business.

kind of understandable, the shop guy was about to lose a $1600 sale, i suppose he thought he had to spin some crap. did those customers end up buying? maybe whisper more quietly next time. can probably find a well priced quality tank maker through the forums also, could always direct newbies here.

well ive had problems with acouple, i had a 8x2x2 crack, n a 4x2x2, i used to buy there tanks i dont any more they sell 8x2x2s for $425,(if uve already bought heaps :D ) but id rather spend 500$ on one knowing its going to last from a builder who takes pride in there work, but thats just my 2 bobs worth

dude hook me up 500 for a 8/2/2 i want one

i got 3 ARU tanks... 2 x 4'x18"x20" & 1 x 8'x2'x2'... the only problems i've ever had was i dropped a lid once & sat on a lid once & broke them both ;p ARU replaced one lid for free & they didn't have to! plus the guy at the wooloowin ARU house let me pick through his glass bin for bits for my sump. they rock!

i payed $495 for the 8'x2'x2' & in my non-42-year-experience-opinion it's a damn solid tank! weighs a freakn ton! :D They are still this price according to the ARU website...

96x24x24 / 244x60x60 $495.00

but yeh, i can understand the sales guy getting peeved about potentially losing a sale... but he really should have praised the good points of his own gear rather than trying to crap on ARU imo.

There's a store at Noosa with 4 walls full of tanks, pretty big shop, they do Marine and Freshwater, and all of their tanks are from ARU and they all look great too.

I can't imagine anyone having any real problems with them, if they do crack the employees seemed quite friendly. I didn't have this problem, but a mate of mine did, he went around asking for quotes for a 4x2x2 and the cheapest on the Sunny Coast was $450 for just the tank. You could buy 2 of them from ARU for the same price.

It irks me when people bad mouth a business to make a sale. I am in business myself and people do it to me all the time because I sell my products at a better price then theirs (better product too). Just about all my tanks are from ARU the biggest I have is a 6x2x2 that’s about 2 years old, I definitely never had any problems. There well built in my opinion, they must have sold hundreds and hundred s of tanks by now they wouldn’t be in business if they had problems. It’s great to deal with the actual manufacturer rather then the reseller. I bet they know a whole lot more about tanks and what it takes to build a good tank then that sales guy at the store. Even if a problem did occur it would be a whole lot less drama dealing directly with the manufacturer rather then the reseller.

Sorry to rant on for so long but as I said it really irks me when people rubbish a business to make a sale.

Cheers Chris

aru i think are awesom, i have had nothing but tanks from there, never had a problem and i will buy from there again, stands a reasonable aswell, seen so many local store stock these tanks and charge double to what they sell them so it must say something,

my 2cents anyway, back to another beer for me

Chris, location in profile please.

Does no one here think it is a problem to mention to a person they can get an item cheaper somewhere else? I think you get what you pay for. What was the quality of the tanks like for sale at the lfs?

I had a tank from ARU.

Frenchy :D

Seriously? No! Wouldn't you like someone to do you the same courtesy if you were about to spend an unnecessary $600?

The quality of the tanks were no worse, but definitely not any better than ARU tanks.

Personally I really like seeing new people coming to the hobby and one of the biggest things that put people off is the cost of starting an aquarium...

Just my opinion...

Yeah I do have a problem with it, if you were the business owner and someone did this to you how would you feel. The lfs have to buy off a wholesaler which is the reason in the difference in price. So you have cut out 2 peoples incomes to save and go to one person that doesnt have the overheads or staff to pay of the lfs. Whats gonna happen when the lfs closes and aru can't stock the fish you want.

I would rather pay the lfs price knowing what they go through to get these tanks n stock to sell. But I find it rude to say it while you are in the shop if you really have the need to say something wait til you and the other person leave. After all it is not right to go into one business and say something about another good or bad.

But I find it rude to say it while you are in the shop if you really have the need to say something wait til you and the other person leave. After all it is not right to go into one business and say something about another good or bad.

totally agreed.

Yeah I do have a problem with it, if you were the business owner and someone did this to you how would you feel. The lfs have to buy off a wholesaler which is the reason in the difference in price. So you have cut out 2 peoples incomes to save and go to one person that doesnt have the overheads or staff to pay of the lfs. Whats gonna happen when the lfs closes and aru can't stock the fish you want.

I would rather pay the lfs price knowing what they go through to get these tanks n stock to sell. But I find it rude to say it while you are in the shop if you really have the need to say something wait til you and the other person leave. After all it is not right to go into one business and say something about another good or bad.

This is the same argument people use to try and stop people from buying items from online stores like AoA, Guppies, and TheReefShop. I'm all for supporting local business but the economy the way it is and the cost of living I am never going to fork out twice the price for a product of similar or even slightly less quality.

ARU is obviously a flourishing and popular business and there's nothing stopping LFS's from making wholesale deals with them or beating them for that matter. Same goes for online stores and the 'you get what you pay for' argument. If I need a biased opinion on what filter I'm going to buy, I'll go to an LFS, but businesses can't operate like they used to and need to adapt to this fandangled invention called the internet. There will always be great sources of information and experience in stores, I know multiple store owners and employees that I would trust to get information off, but there's also a bunch of 'young dogs' (using this as an example) out there that just want to make the sale. For this reason alone I firmly believe you're better off researching and buying online, you get it cheaper and have more information available that isn't warped towards making a sale.

Fish stores will always make their big bucks off uninformed and unprepared customers, or people too lazy to do their research. Exactly the same goes for Harvey Norman, Dell, Dick Smith, 99% of Computer Retailers, and pretty much every high end electronics retailer out there. I'm by no means a bargain hunter, but I'll shop around online for 20 minutes to find a cheaper wholesaler or even retailer for the best price available.

Tell me why I should pay sometimes up to nearly twice the price for exactly the same product as I could buy online? ARU is no different, solid quality, great prices, good service.

Well said Japes...Very well said.

Retailers need to get used to this thing called competition. I'm not unreasonable, really I'm not! If I go into a store that has something I wish to buy, I will always give retailers a chance especially the smaller stores, but more often than not they can't even come close to the prices I find on the net. However as I like having the reassurance of a physical store behind me in case anything goes wrong, if they are willing to atleast try and come down a bit more often than not I will buy from them, and more often than not return to by something else along the way.

However, if they aren't even willing to try, and then on top of it dog the person I was looking at buying from its a no go...

Also, the sad thing is pet stores mark up things like filters etc ridiculously...for example I was looking at an Aqua One Aquis Advanced CF1250 for my 2ft...I did the right things I rang all the stores I normally buy from and no one stocked eventually I found a pet store on the northside who told me they could give it me for the cheap price of about $500. I just bought it from aquashacks.com.au for $145 + $20 shipping. Do they really need to make that much profit?

Japes is right surely they make enough money of newbies who really have no idea...

At the end of the day business is business if there is some one in the market that can run a leaner more competitive business than you either have to adapt or get out. Sure some stores can offer value added service but how much are you willing to pay for this. Surely there is not $600 worth of it on one tank. Competition is a good thing for everyone because in the end uncompetitive retailers (too pricey or lack of service) inevitably close down. I guess what gets me is when an uncompetitive retailer decides they will just rubbish other retailers because there business has nothing better to offer. I find this is bad business practice and bad salesmanship.

That’s my 2 cents

:D