red demon

Substrate Fertilizer

What are the opinions on substrate fertilizers or what people have found to work? I am planting a 4x2, so far I know I am wanting to put bigger, hardier(?) plants in such as Echinodorus, anubius (on driftwood), amazons of varying types & sizes and for the taller plants - val and aponogeton. As for smaller 'filler' plants I'm not sure yet until I have the tank planted out with the bigger ones.

I will be using a mixture of 3mm and 5mm gravel. Lighting I will be using is 4 x 54W (T5) with 2 x sun lux 14000K & 2 x blue lux coral tubes.

Thanks

Kristy :puppy:

Hi red demon,

There are two main types of aquatic fertalizers, liquid ferts for plants that absorb nutrients from the water column, and root tabs for plants that absorb nutrients from the substrate. I use Seachem Flourish root tabs for my amazon swords and dose with Seachem Flourish comprehensive and Seachem Flourish excel for my other plants.

As for plant options, if I had a larger tanks (such as yours) I'd certainly consider planting giant val. A good, smaller, filler plant to consider are Cryptocoryne.

I don't think the "2 x sun lux 14000K & 2 x blue lux coral tubes" will assist very much in the growth of plants. Both are possibly okay for Marine tanks, but not much use for plants which use blue and red spectrun light to power their photosynthesis. If you want light bulbs that will get great growth, then the cheapest alternative is to have 2x Daylight 6700K bulbs and 2x Warm White 5700k. The slightly more expensive option (but still around the same price as your 4 marine light bulbs) is to get some proper Plant Growth bulbs (Sylvania make ones called GroLux).

If you are thinking now about changing bulbs now ( :-) ) then I could help you get them cheaply through a lights company that I deal with a lot (I need to order 10+ of the 54w GroLux to get the cheaper pricing of $13 each!, and I really only need to order 4 at the moment.)

In regards to ferts, you can get cheap tablet fertiliser in any gardening store Pond section (or fertiliser section). They are designed for larger Pond plants, and if you break them into 4 pieces and then push a small piece under each of your major plants you'll be amazed how well the plants grow.

Since your gravel doesn't have any nutrients in it, I would definitely recommend getting some laterite and layering that down before you put in your gravel. The laterite will give the plants much needed iron. Alternatively, you could just use a 3cm (or less) layer of unfertilised top soil mixed with some clay soil (for iron). Then put the gravel on top. Or, go and buy the super duper expensive substrates that don't mess up the water when you replant your overgrown plants.

matt

Thanks mattyd for the lighting tips .... yes, I will change my light tubes but unfortunately as I am in Cairns I will try to locate closer to home (easier than trying to freight light tubes!)

I will also look into the fertilizer tabs and liquid when I have the plants in place.

I guess, next question is where is the cheapest to buy laterite :whoa:

Kristy :puppy: