rosequoll

cloudy water, tests and going insane

Tried to chat with people in the chatroom about this but lag was making me insane, so...easier! Post.

6x2x2 tank.

This is the tank that had the huge crash/fish deaths with water changes coming up to three weeks ago (on Thursday).

Tank seemed to stabalise within a week, water was testing almost perfect (mild nitrates, everything else fine).

One fish was still having a bit of fungal issues from before the crash, so I removed purigen a week ago and started treating with melafix.

Tank has gone cloudy, is testing with amm .25, nitrates 5, nitrite 0

Cannot currently do a waterchange as my holding tanks are testing amm 0, nitrates 5 and nitrite .25-.5 (ughhhh) as I only filled them about 36 hours ago.

Filtered with fx5 filter, seeded media. Biological levels may have been affected by the crash previously?

Stocklist:

1 bass 15cm

1 bass 8cm

2 JP's 6cm

2 snakehead gudgeons 15-20cm

1 tandanus 20cm

5 random small rainbows and random snails

Only feeding once every 2-3 days to try to keep the tank more stable.

My 6 bay (six 2x1x15 tanks on large sump) has been testing with ammonia as well the last week. These are tanks that have been running happily for AGES, wtf is going on. =( No waterchanges on that tank, just top-ups lately with water from the holding tanks that tested fine).

-----------------------------

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here. I've kept fish a while now, never had issues before running small tanks on simple spongies and waterchanges straight from the tap but now here I am with $400 fx5 filters and huge sumps and I CANNOT get perfect water tests.

-----------------------------

Temped to get an internal or inline UV steralizer, but at this point spending MORE money on failed fixes seems like an exercise in futility.

chats heeps laggy so im gunna put a reply in here

if it were me, and im sure others will give you the same advice.

20% water change's every day or so keep the amm/ni/na's levels down allow the sump to cycle, and then after a while stop the cycles and see how your levels are..

Hey Bruce, thanks for the reply. Easier to sort replies here at the moment anyways.

At the moment I'm shit outta luck doing waterchanges as my tap water is hell with the rain and waiting for my holding tanks to test better. Just popped downstairs and threw two airlines in there. Hopefully everything in the holding tank will test better tomorrow and I can do a small waterchange.

Catch 22, Can't add carbon or purigen with the Melafix in there, and you can't remove the melafix or your fish might suffer.

Easy answer is what is the fish? No offence but sometimes you might have to sacrifice one to save the others, that way throw in some carbon and purigen back in, and run it until you can get some decent water and your bacteria levels stabilise.

UV will achieve the same thing, you can then start treating the water without to much worry on the bacteria, it wont fix it, but I would treat with abit of salt, and let nature take its course.

Don't you work at Redlands? Surely you can swap out a small amount of Dacron from there sumps with some new stuff, bag it and juice up your filter abit? (I would ask first of course lol)

HTH,

Grum.

Have you changed ammonia test kits lately, the modern range of de-chlorinators will interfere with most liquid, titration type tests. If you can get dry tablet tests use them.

Ammonia and nitrate or nitrites and nitrates, don't go together they are bi products of each other e.g Ammonia nitrite will turn to nitrate , Nitrates are left over after the process of de-nitrification and on there own are not very toxic. So hence something could be interfering.

Having said that, cloudy water is usually pseudomonious bacteria, the beginning of the process of de-nitrification, you may have gotten there again as result of trying to reduce the ammonia with water changes, which just made things worse ( ammonia you didn't have ). Then that would bring me back to hydrated lime also adding to making the environment unstable, if Purigen doesn't reduce the ammonia , you have two options, move the fish and wait for the tank to become stable again or lower the pH to 7 (this may be your only option) . A lower pH de-toxifies the Ammonia nitrite. Never treat an unstable environment with and kind of cure,

Graham

Just to add, and Seachem won't agree with this, recharge your Purigen with salt instead of bleach, it won't then leach so many + hydrogen ions and as result pump out more neutral water. It's also quicker and simpler to do, use a 6 percent solution for about 2 hours and put it back into the tank. Then you will only exchange sodium for ammonia.

I hope they don't see this as reflection on their product, just an observation, recharging with bleach is probably meant to whiten again and make the product more useful in salt water, where recharging with salt would be useless.

Graham