HI all

just need advice to save my fish

just cleaned canister filter and done 20% water change using tap water.

now the fish are starting to gasp for air and lay on their sides.

I have put more air in there and two old sponge filters inthere from other tanks to get some bacteria in there again.

Is there anything more that i can do to save them???

LARGE COLONY OF FRONTOZAS

PLEASE HELP!!!

Sorry posted in wrong spot needed help asap

Wow.... U must of really cleaned ur filter. Sounds like u crashed ur bio.

Can u take some seeded media out of another "running" filter n put in ur clean filter? The only other thing is if u have a bio- booster (Stability, Stress-Zhym, Easy Life, etc), wait atleast 1hr after u last added ur water conditioner then add a double dose of these products. Feed once every 2days sparingly as not to overload the new bio that will slowly develope.

Hopefully this helps

Tim

Do this n kill the reaming bio in ur tank n insure a painful death to all fish

WTF??? Biggest load of nonsense I've ever read, & I don't mean the spelling & grammar! :roll::roll::roll:

dose the prime if you can! and keep that air in there. City councal water was very high in chlorine today

As above - plenty of aeration / prime as directed on label for emergencies

You may want to consider another water change with pime treated water to dilute existing nitrite and or ammonia.

Also check your heater hasn't malfunctioned during/after the water change and reduced the O2 levels

Please give us an update

extract from practicalfishkeeping site

Water quality

Both ammonia and nitrite affect gills and can cause gasping, so test the water at the first sign of trouble. When ammonia is present fish produce extra mucus, which reduces the surface area of the gills, making them less effective at extracting oxygen.

Nitrite affects the blood by changing the haemoglobin bit that carries the oxygen, so fish gasp in trying to extract the oxygen they need from the water. Any signs of ammonia or nitrite are worrying. Do an immediate 50% water change, top up with dechlorinated tapwater and try to determine why the biological filter isn’t working. Then seek further emergency support from your dealer.

WOW,

I'm with VegasMick,

What's the point in doing anything until you know what the problem is? TEST your water, even if you didn't know what it was before, test it now.

Prime is a good idea if it is high levels, but it could be any number of things, I know it was yesterday, but never just move them into another tank, the PH could be way off and your just doing more harm they could go into PH shock and never recover, never clean out all your water, again your stuffing the bacteria,

Honestly there is some really bad advice in this thread, If you own a large colony of Frontosa and not a test kit, well you deserve what happens.

If you couldn't breath would you look for drugs to help if you could test the air first?

Grum.

Do this n kill the reaming bio in ur tank n insure a painful death to all fish

WTF??? Biggest load of nonsense I've ever read, & I don't mean the spelling & grammar! :roll::roll::roll:

Obviously us never had a fragile Bio system b4,, crash ur bio n try 5x the amount of prime n see wat happens ;) I'm speaking from experience so no nonsense here. Add the seeded media will help in any case.

The Op can't b too worried as he hasn't replied or done anything other than the first post :?

WOW,

I'm with VegasMick,

What's the point in doing anything until you know what the problem is? TEST your water, even if you didn't know what it was before, test it now.

Prime is a good idea if it is high levels, but it could be any number of things, I know it was yesterday, but never just move them into another tank, the PH could be way off and your just doing more harm they could go into PH shock and never recover, never clean out all your water, again your stuffing the bacteria,

Honestly there is some really bad advice in this thread, If you own a large colony of Frontosa and not a test kit, well you deserve what happens.

If you couldn't breath would you look for drugs to help if you could test the air first?

Grum.

exactly wat i have posted in a few threads exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!! people seem to wanna race off in the first second n dump meds n stuff into tanks without having a single idea as to what is happening at all! instead of stepping back and checking off whats happened and trying to pin it that way, or doin some tests, nope dose up with this, move em here n there bla bla bla, i was talking to another member today about this exact thing, no one is doin the basics anymore, good solid regime, stable conditions, regular effective precautions nothing hence why everyone is having major issues, as stated b4 i have been in fish for longer than some have been born, (obviously this counts for nothing to some) and have seen lots of things, but key is never stop learning, never stop asking, reason so many people have issues is they get bombed with so much crappy advice and poor options they panic, then the end result is hating the hobby n blaming others n moving on! fishkeeping is one of the most calming peaceful lovely experiences i have ever had, thats why i love it :) when peeps come to buy stuff off me i am always up for a chat n help u out unless i dun like ya hahahahaha then u can get lost :) but yes, slow down on crappy advice, take time to follow basic maintenance, and routine, and you and your fish will love you!!!!!!!! i promise :):mrgreen:

Sounds like another case of chloramine poisoning, which can also cause gasping and can result in deaths afterwards due to internal organ damage.

Anyway, what is the obsession with everyone doing weekly water changes. God damn, you only ever need to do water changes if your basics water quality paramters are showing changes to the norm. In a well balanced tank, lightly stocked and with plants and an efficient filter system, this could takes months before a water change is needed. It's only those bare-tank bregade, stocking dozens of fish per foot of tank space that need to do regular changes to remove wastes that accumulate.

Again what were your basic parameter checks before your water change, NOT AFTER IT. And does anyone actually check for chlorine in the water about to be used for water changes, seems not as most are probably filling tanks from the garden house and then dosing with chemiclas to offset the chlorine (BAD NEWS), and yet this is probably one of the biggest casuse sudden and suposedly unexplained fish kills... all happening after a water change.

If you can smell it then there it will kill your fish.

Yes there are test kits available, they can be a little hard to get but good LFS should carry them, you can spend as little or as much as you like, however you need a kit that can read low level as chlorine at even low levels is bad for your fish. Should also measure total chlorine, not free chlorine to give a better idea of concentration.

(http://www.aquariumguys.com/chlorine-test-kits.html)

(http://appslabs.com.au/index.php?main_p ... 410_40_275)

(http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.co ... t=7&page=7)

(http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/ ... /d299.html)

The best way to remove it is time and aeration, up to a week, having it in the sun can also help degrade the chloramines.

I am not sure if Prime is you best solution, in my view you are placing a lot of faith in a product that may not be as effective against chloramine as it is for chlorine.

Has anyone tested the effectiveness of Prime at removing chloramines?

Sounds like another case of chloramine poisoning, which can also cause gasping and can result in deaths afterwards due to internal organ damage.

Anyway, what is the obsession with everyone doing weekly water changes. God damn, you only ever need to do water changes if your basics water quality paramters are showing changes to the norm. In a well balanced tank, lightly stocked and with plants and an efficient filter system, this could takes months before a water change is needed. It's only those bare-tank bregade, stocking dozens of fish per foot of tank space that need to do regular changes to remove wastes that accumulate.

Again what were your basic parameter checks before your water change, NOT AFTER IT. And does anyone actually check for chlorine in the water about to be used for water changes, seems not as most are probably filling tanks from the garden house and then dosing with chemiclas to offset the chlorine (BAD NEWS), and yet this is probably one of the biggest casuse sudden and suposedly unexplained fish kills... all happening after a water change.

This is the best advice I have seen, it's in my best interest to promote water changes as I produce de-chlorinating products, and the more water changes the more product I sell. But it seems to me the general theme now days Is to do weekly water changes. All you have to do is watch your pH daily if you start to get a lowering pH, do a small change or buffer with bi-carb. Nitrates are fairly non toxic even at high levels, so don't be to concerned about them, you can filter them out now anyway with purigen or my stuff.

It does sound though like your problem is related to chlorine, chlorine toxicity is always an instant problem.

Graham

Please give us an update

Hi everyone thank you so much for all your time and info.

Sorry i have not updated was up late tending to the fish and then had to work early this morning so this is the first chance that i have had.

Managed to find some water conditioner and put it in the tank which seemed to stabilize the fish within a few hours.

I put in heaps of air stones and filters from my other tanks to try and create some bacteria in the water.

This was the first water change i had done in approx 6 mths at 25% so i didnt think it would have this affect at all. I've done it many times before and the fish had been perfectly fine.

Thanks for all the info and instructions, unfortunately i did loose one of my large females that were in the colony which is unfortunate however i am glad that i managed to save the rest with a lot of your help.

BIG THANKS AGAIN GUYS :)

Johnie