woocoo

cannister Vs internal

have read on a few site that using a cannister filter with spray bar for breeding BNS give the fish the impression of the rainy season in there natural enviroment and this encourages breeding.

does any one here use a cannister on the BNS set up and get results, also do you still use a internal in the bottom of the tank to keep a strong current.

thanks again

chris

that would make sense another method for imitating rain is, slightly cooler/softer water with a watering can every few hours.. especially when it is raining outside..some say fish can sense a drop in atmospheric pressure.

a cannister would last longer without maintentance, aloow u to keep more fish, but it would give u a current.

i would go cannister if u can but i have seen b/n bred on a large scale just using a huge air pump and sponge filters.. with a waste siphon every 3 days and a 25%weekly water change

This could be good news as I just got a canister as with the internal filter my bns weren't interested in breeding.

I am running both in the tank atm until the canister has adapted to the bio of the tank.

Will anything bad happen if I take out the internal filter in a couple of weeks? Will it mess up the new bio balance in the tank?

By the way, the new Eheim 2215 is fantastic once you get it primed properly and all the trapped airbubbles are out. For anyone having trouble with that like I was, I took the outlet tube (while the filter was running) and popped it into an empty bucket lower than the canister and bingo all the airbubbles came out. Then I quickly put the outlet back onto the spraybar as the water flow was terrific.