Luddy

Flamebacks Holding!!!

Hey all, I have a crapload of africans in a community 3x15x15 most of which are 30-50mm, and I have just discovered one of my female flamebacks is holding. I am so excited but then concerned about the survival rate when surounded by around 100 other fish. I know this is too many for the tank, however, my new 6x3x27 is arriving in two days. Any advise or comments?

Other species include aurora, yellow-tail acei, maingano, e-yellows, afra cobue, humpys, dolphins, hongi, demasoni, pepps and mbamba in order of greater-lesser numbers

Thanks people

They don't have to be closely related.

To put this in perspective, I have an all male tank.... My Protomelas spilonotus tanzania tries to breed with my Otopharynx lithobates. Rostratus tries to breed with Venustus.

The fact that the male flameback is guarding the female doesn't mean another fish at one point or another hasn't slipped in and done its dance with her.

There is no harm in waiting to see. But the thing is, there is just as much, if not a better chance that they will be hybrids, then pure.

I guess what you have to weigh up is whether you want to go to the effort for fish that you dont know are pure strains.

As a positive though, it could give you a good chance to practice stripping the fry and raising them etc if that is something you are interested in doing... even if the end result is in line with my original suggested outcome.