Hey,

There is black furry looking stuff growing in my tank, it started on some of my plants and now it's growing on my background too, I'm not sure what it is, some type of mould mabey? It's only small too, any one got any idea what it could be? Or how to get rid of it? Thanks

It's not black beard algae? Usually from too much light... I get a fair bit of the wretched stuff because I like to pump up the normal algae for my B/N.

Also, there are fish that will eat it, I think I heard somewhere that siamese flying foxes will do the job, but maybe research that a little more ;) But minimizing your light will help slow it down.

16 hours a day. WOW! My guess would be black beard algea as well. It's not necessarily bad stuff, as lots of micro organisims live in it and young fry will appear to graze through it.

Here's a lighting option for your tank. In my planted tank I have the lights on from 6am to 10am then off untill 2pm when they turn back on untill 6pm. My amazon swords and val have very good growth now that I have removed the coarse sprite from the tank. I also have some very nice green algea growing on some of my driftwood, I like it as it looks much more like some low growing moss.