ausfishy

What fish have you had jump out of your tank?

Ok, so we have all had them.....The jumping/skittish fish.

I just thought this would be an interesting topic to get everyone's experiences on what kinds of fish they have kept current/past that have decided that out of the tank is better then in, lol.

Hopefully this will also help the newer fish keepers chose their fish more wisely too :)

open to all.

In my time i haven't had to many fish jump out of my tanks.

Only a few Balla Sharks(Silver Shark) and some Africans. My Oscar use2 jump out of the tank for food but he always came back down :P

One Geophagus Tapajos the night before I was to sell the thing to the buyer. Was the breeding female too! Was not impressed it got through the tiny trinagle gap in the glass with an out take.

Also had about 10 or so Rasbora Hengeli jump out of my rimless/braceless and lidless tank. The things jump at night time and had the water level up too high.

Edited by FIIK

a few baby saratogas over time before we figured out how to keep alot of fingerlings in moderate peace.

Most annoying one was a juvenile green arowana, I saved up all my apprentice $$$ (which as we all know isnt much) I finally found a juvie for a great price settled him into the tank, made sure there was a light & weights on top of glass lids. Went to a work function dinner. came out in the morining to check on my prized fishie and there he was on the floor all dried up...devestated... :cry:

so, do the kinds of lights you use on ur aquarium help stop fish from wanting to jump out?

i also have a blue bulb and 2 other white bulbs on my tank.

I wouldn't say it stops them from wanting to jump out. I think a moon light reduces the likelihood of the fish spooking each other at night and accidentally jumping out.

On a general note, I thought I would mention that since having a blue led moon light on my all male hap and peacock tank I have had zero jump outs. Before that I had a few fish of the mentioned varieties that went jump in the night.

Same here, I have found that it is the sudden change in light of the room that makes them freak out, and if there is another change (eg there is light shining out of a room and you walk past it) they go ballistic. Having a moon light has stopped this behaviour all together :)

BTW, the fish that I have had jump are africans :(

Once upon a time i had two black sharks, One jumped out of my tank, with lids and everything on :lol: the other one got eaten by my turtle the night before i was to sell it.

Ive also experienced the whole eels jumping out of a tank. I had a full inclosed lid on a 2ft tank, other then a tiny hole in the corner to help lift it up. Next morning i woke up to find 2 eels hiding in my shirt :lol:

I picked up two funky pair of wild mouth breeding bettas - even bettabettas from Jodi today - swear they were looking to jump out before even getting out the bag.

I am so nervous I have plugged everything with cotton wool. Still nervous.

Most of my worst losses were back when I had apistos in tanks too small - and after breeding the female would remove the male from the area.

Mirander - Don't talk to me about eels - I remember when I was young working for dad and we had fire eels (yes you could import them and they were funky) and weather loach (both species - stupid thing that should have never been sold!!! - ah well we were all young and stupid once) One of them almost killed me and made me fall of a ladder! I was 14 at the time and the floor was concrete......

Had our spotted gar jump out one nite, we were going out and it was late morning and we were checking the fish before we left and i thought hello where's the gar. We searched all over the place and found him under a tank on the other side of the room, he looked dead when we pulled him out but as we picked him up he moved so we put him back in the tank, and he couldnt swim properly and gars need to come up for air so we made a special sling for him at the surface of the tank and kept an eye on him for a bit and then left. When we got home he was swimming around like nothing happened. We reckon he was out most of the night and most of the morning, and that was 4 years ago. Now every day when I leave for work I always make sure he is still in the tank.

A 23cm Male Royal Whiptail, that was purchased as part of a Breeding Trio 3days prior :( well im assuming it jumped out as i never found any remains in or out of the tank and i did have half the lids off as it was hot last summer.

Hehe.. i wish my snails would jump out too...Haha

I've had 1 BN and various cichlids (flavus, red empress, mbenji peacock, red forest jewel, blue peacock, auratus) jump out of their tanks over a period of years. Snails are the most amazing. I found 1 about 30 feet away from its tank once - it was dead - it had crawled out of sight. The snails would climb up the side of the tank and plop! onto the floor. I've had them land on lino and tiles - sometimes their shell would get a bit cracked other times not; but it's the dessication that kills them if they're out too long. So guys, snails can go walkabout!

Large purple spot gudgeon, found him under a tank a few metres away about....8mths later. >.>

My first jungle perch. I got him at 5cm, got him up to almost 15cm and he jumped out a gap about 1.5cm wide one night. I cried. =(

Male desert goby, he was dry, but wiggled when I picked him up and he turned out fine.

I've had a few rainbows jump into the barra tank, not the smartest. Most tanks either have lids now (with holes filled in with sponge pieces or low water levels.