computerman

How long does a female hongi hold for?

The female Hongi will hold for aprox 4 weeks. I remove my females at aprox 2.5 to 3 weeks, I usually don't notice the female holding for up to a week. When I remove the female, I will strip the fry. This process can cause a little bit of stress sometimes & at other times they can spit into the net at the moment you catch them.

Once I remove the fry, I move my female to a recovery tank, where she is spoilt for about three weeks.

If you leave the female in the community tank, most if not all fry will be picked off in the first few hours. You may also stress the female a little with her looking for somewhere to release the fry.

Have watched Utube re stripping a fish, but this girl is only about 5CM in length, does anyone have pics of females holding so I can be sure she is, under her chin or where it would be if she had one, she's like a pelican with a bill full of fish, big bulge!

Dont want to try stripping her and end up killing her considering I've never done it before only seen the utubes and what I've read!!!!????

Any advice or help appreicated

Regards

Marc

I asked a similar question ages ago about my acei. I took a video and posted it and asked people on here to decide. They said she was definintely holding.

here's the link :

http://www.qldaf.com/modules.php?name=F ... highlight=

as for knowing when she's 2.5 to 3 weeks along, the technique that I personally use is to count 17-21 days from when the eggs were first laid (or simply use a calendar). (note, I stripped a female kingsizei a week too early and lost 18 juvvies...damn) Since my cobalt blues, finally got jiggy wit' it last night, I'll be using the same technique for stripping her (ie in 17-21 days)

usually they will hold between3-4 weeks at most but you are supposed to strip the females on the 14th- 18th day

I dont know how to stip a fish, so I just put her i a tank on her own until she spat them out, then put her back in the main tank, now have about 9 babies!

Regards

Marc

hi marc, i striped my female hongi after 10 days. of holding got 25 babys out of her, only lost 5 babys all still had egg sack on them .and now 5 days old egg sack is almost gone and feeding on fry powder and hatched baby brine shrimp .and it was the fist time i striped a hongi . :fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::)

cheers jay