ausfishy

9mm MDF Shelves

are 9mm MDF Shelves on steel framing ,strong enough to hold the weight of 2foot and 3 foot standard fish tanks?

If i use 9mm mdf shelves will i need to paint a water protection paint onto them so they don't get water damaged every time i do a water change? or will they be fine to get a tiny bit wet every so often?

asking all experts :)

9mm will be ample, but u are better off going wiff ply, even though u wills eal them the MDF wont take long to absorb moisture, rendering it usless after a short time, so go wiff ply, nice n cheap also but no issues at all :) if u have steel supports u dont even need the wood, juss get some nice think foam, cut it so it fits on the steel bobs your uncle problem solvered

:)

G'day ausfishy

Scrap the mdf it will be stuffed within a matter of weeks. I agree with ray you don't necessarily need a full base you only need some foam on the steel supports but i myself like a full base. I used 19mm ply on mine only because i got it cheap. So i'd go with ply for sure.

Hope that helps.

John :)

thanks john.

how does ply go with getting wet every now and then? will it rot? or split? loose strength?

i'll consider thick foam first if its not safe to do so ill go hunting for some pine boards or ply iguess

ply will be fine even if it gets wet its ok, marine grade is best but good old ply is pretty ply for a white guy :)

foam, mmmmmm sweeet sweeee :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: et foam

marine ply is way to expensive and is really not worth buying imo, form ply (ply with black surface) is the best to use around wet area applictions, and is much cheaper if buying it new off the shelf.

Youll usually find some offcuts kicking around on most worksites as its used to 'form' up conctrete structures, steps and slabs etc.... hence the name, formply. Have a look in a skip bin for offcuts, you might get lucky.

You'll still need to paint something on the cut ends though to get it watertight.

Pop into a cabinetmaker with some sizes. They should even be able to cut some pieces to size for you if they stock the stuff and can be bothered helping you out.

I know we keep 15mm C/D grade ply in stock which would be perfect for your needs. If you have trouble finding what you need, i'm sure I can get some from work at cost price and cut it up for you. I am on the sunshine coast though. From memory it may be around $60 for a 2400mmm x 1200mm x 15mm sheet. (I think)