rmckey

discus lighting

just wanting to know what sort of bulb i need for discus as the tube that i have at the moment is to bright for them and they are hiding in the corner of the tank and only moving when the light is turned off any help would be appreciated thanks ryan

I think its more your tank conditions that you need to be worried about than lighting. Discus are commonly kept in planted tanks where the lighting is extremely bright and live very happily.

If you had a picture of your tank maybe we could give you some suggestions but some plants and areas that they can call 'home' will keep them happy :).

Also are they only new discus? I found that when I got my discus on 2 separate occasions, they did hide in the corners for a week or two. I figure they are just working out who I am and settling into their new home. Now when I walk up to the tank they come up to me to say hello but if anyone else in my family does so then they retreat back to their corners and under the log. Such an intelligent fish discus are. :)

Ditto about the coming up to say hello to their single caretaker Zane & rushing off when seeing others :) I love hand feeding my babies, they're so gentle & graceful.

I have 6 x 39W globes blaring away over the top of my heavily planted tank for 10 hours a day & the Discus (from adults through to young ones) don't seem to mind at all.